Bald ears?

Help Support CattleToday:

agus132457689

Reaction score
I just had a calf born with bald ears, and I was just wondering if anybody has seen this before, because I have not. Is it an ordinary thing or does it mean it has a disease, and if so which? I ask this because right after the calf was born his mother left him, and I dont know if she will have twins or sensed there was something wrong with him.
Thanks in advance.

i am not sure it seems to be about 80 to 85 lbs, nothing seems to be wrong with it, but its dark out and once i got a flashlight on it i could tell it has a couple other bald spots on it besides just its ears.

agus132457689":g4rweqo0 said:
Anyone else have any ideas?

To me it almost seems like ringworm. When was the last time you dewormed the cow? I would consult a Vet, Ive never heard of a calf born with blad spots, unless its genetic. Has the hair grown back? Does it look like its going to grow back? It would help if you could put a pic of the calf on here if you can. Thanks,
Daisy452

We've never had a calf born with bald ears...

HOWEVER, we have had a calf shed skin around the base of the ears when fighting a case of "something"... the base of the ears is one of the warmest spots on a calf and if they're running a fever they will tend to shed hair there first...

...but to be born with no hair on the ears... new to me

...please keep us posted.

ya he seems to be doing find, but i am trying to upload a photo off my cell phone, but cant figure out how to get it in my reply
EDit: hes only a day old so its hair shouldnt be growing back yet and what are ring worms do to make them bald when there born because there wasnt any hair loss there just was no hair at all

its definitely not ringworm. :roll:

b/c it was born with bald ears it has to be genetic, or a development problem like prematurity or maybe a deficiency of some kind, OR i'm pretty sure some diseases cause lack of hair formation but i dont remember which ones.

Hey! its not a rattail calf is it?

Keren":2s8cg12v said:
Ringworm isnt actually a worm, so whether or not the cow was dewormed is irrelevant. I've never heard of a calf catching ringworm in utero, though. I'm not sure if thats even possible.

I know that ringworm isnt a worm, I'm trying to get info to figure this one out.

Latest posts