Balancer

Help Support CattleToday:

Balancers are no more prone to inkeye then angus or Gelbvieh. Their dispositions are basically the same as both parent breeds. The get highbrid figor in a straight bred herd they should work out pretty well. If you have either a Gelbvieh or Angus based hered you won;t get the maximum heterosis possible. I wouldn;t use them on continental breeds, you normally already have all the frame you need on those cows. The should provide very good maternal traits as well.

dun

> I would like to know about this
> breed. Does it get pink eye bad?
> What is good about the breed? What
> is the temperment of this breed?

Like dun said, since Balancers are a blend of registered Gelbvieh and Angus (red or black) they are no more prone to pinkeye than any of the parent breeds.

Balancers can be between 25% and 75% Gelbvieh and the balance being Angus. Most people assume that Balancers are 50% Gelbvieh/50% Angus. So, you need to ask what the percentages are when purchasing Balancers.

If your current herd has a large percentage of Continental blood (Charolais, Simmental, Limousin,...) you likely want a Balancer that has at least 50% Angus. If your herd is primarily British breeding (Angus, Shorthorn, Hereford, S. Devon) you will probably want 50%+ Gelbvieh.

Now, with all that being said, if your cattle are sold on a grid that rewards marbling, you need to continue with a higher percentage of Angus. If your cattle typically go into grids that reward you for improved yield, you probably want to use a higher percentage of Gelbvieh.

> Balancer is not a breed, but a
> promotion.

You are correct, Balancer is not a breed, but it is a specific genetic package consisting of Gelbvieh and Angus genetics. This cross fills a very important need in our US cattle industry.

I think you should considered true balancer Breeds, instead of 1/2 Bloods, like the Normande, Braunvieh, South Devon or Tarentaise which could be considered as Grade and Yield Balancer Breeds

> I would like to know about this
> breed. Does it get pink eye bad?
> What is good about the breed? What
> is the temperment of this breed?

[email protected]

Latest posts