Balancer on simmental heifers.

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We raise simmental cross cattle. We would like to use something other than angus for our heifers since we always have, but they don't grow as well as our simmental cross. We are thinking about using a balancer. Is that a good idea? Or can you think of something better?

krazykrause":jo4ruh8r said:
We raise simmental cross cattle. We would like to use something other than angus for our heifers since we always have, but they don't grow as well as our simmental cross. We are thinking about using a balancer. Is that a good idea? Or can you think of something better?
Try Simbrah or Brangus

I would go with Brangus. Look ay EPD'S and you should have small calves that grow like bad grass.

Depending on where you are located; I would go with Brangus or
Angus Plus. Most Angus Plus are like 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Brahman
to as much as 13/16 Angus and 3/16 Brahman. This will give less ear on the cattle, and also tolerate the heat and insects, plus have
a more desirable carcass.

WIN BUSH WIN

Have you thought about using an easy calving Simmental? The Simmental breed has some of the best EPD's in the industry

Using a Balancer you would have a very high percentage of continental in the calves. Angus or maybe Shorthorn would give you some extra vigor plus would probably help the quality grade. A lot depends on at point you sell your calves. If you market at weaning you'll get paid by the pound, if you retain ownership through slaughter you'll do better with the higher quality grade. (my opinion)

dun

krazykrause":3fwjy2bi said:

I would say a club calf bull but be careful of the so called rat gene. I have used shorthorn with great success with grand heifer calf and grand bull calf. But watch birth weight and type of shorthorn the club calf shorthorns and bigger framed and might be a calving problem. I had great luck A.I with Tcc country music singer and words casper also war horse all three are in Genetic Horizons the site is [http://www.sekgenetics.com/]
[/url]

Latest posts