Balancer Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a picture of one of my 2011 bull calves. He should make a great heifer bull. BW EPD is -4.1. He is definately not a growth bull but with that bw and a 36 PAP he will work for a lot of folks around here.

image0011.jpg

Not to drag you off topic on the first post but at what elevation do you start seeing PAP scores as important?
-4.1 is pretty good for just about any breed. Even if you factor in the low reliability since he's still just a progeny himself he'd still likely be well below average.

His DOB is 3/26/2011 and he weighed 72lbs.

His sire never produced a calf over 79lbs for me. I think his CE numbers should be very accurate.

cow pollinater":u1u1notj said:
Not to drag you off topic on the first post but at what elevation do you start seeing PAP scores as important?
-4.1 is pretty good for just about any breed. Even if you factor in the low reliability since he's still just a progeny himself he'd still likely be well below average.

Realistically over 7,000' but it can sure affect them lower than that.

BTW he scored that 36 @ 7800'. That makes a ton of difference.

MistyMorning":1sspzph3 said:
Nice Vic, would he do okay at sea level than? ;-)

Yeah sure you betcha! And we give a discount if you pick em up in person!

Isomade":15g01vto said:
Good lookin bull 3way. With a -4.1 he should be save on a chihuahua.

This is his full brother last year on test, showing his best side. He was fed harder than this calf and then I brought him down. I am doing it different this year.
IMG-20110515-00009.jpg

Last years calf had a -2.8 BW EPD I am guessing that because of the calving ease numbers on the sire that the BW number is that much lower.

3waycross":ktm14rox said:

His sire never produced a calf over 79lbs for me. I think his CE numbers should be very accurate.

Got any idea what he weighs now?

tom4018":10a69t96 said:
3waycross":10a69t96 said:

Got any idea what he weighs now?

Tom I am going to guess him at 800 to 850. I am looking to get him to 900 by the sale. Most folks turn out aroung the end of May here so that gives him plenty of time to get over 1000 by turnout. One thing is for sure he won't melt when he gets turned out. He and the other 11 bulls we are feeding are in a 100 acre pasture and they get to do a lot of walking between their water, grain and hay. Believe me when I say they do not waddle when they walk, they are in shape. One of the things we are avoiding here is a lot of riding, like my friend is getting in the feedlot with her other bulls.

3waycross":20f7s0wc said:
Isomade":20f7s0wc said:
Good lookin bull 3way. With a -4.1 he should be save on a chihuahua.

This is his full brother last year on test, showing his best side. He was fed harder than this calf and then I brought him down. I am doing it different this year.
IMG-20110515-00009.jpg

Last years calf had a -2.8 BW EPD I am guessing that because of the calving ease numbers on the sire that the BW number is that much lower.

A correction here. This is last years brother almost 2 months AFTER he was on full feed. He was just getting good hay and a coffee can full of grain here in perparation to being turned out. I know for a fact he did not melt I had already taken the feedlot fat off of him the picture below is him on test 3 months earlier.
DSCF02561.JPG

Must have been a old pic as I did not think he looked almost 11 months old in the picture.

I know what you mean about melting, seen several do that. I sold one of my bulls to my next door neighbor, he feeds some but I wondered how the bull would do. He got turned out last fall and he looks pretty good still, so maybe I did something right.

tom4018":5u4a0sz4 said:
Must have been a old pic as I did not think he looked almost 11 months old in the picture.

I know what you mean about melting, seen several do that. I sold one of my bulls to my next door neighbor, he feeds some but I wondered how the bull would do. He got turned out last fall and he looks pretty good still, so maybe I did something right.

Let me try to clarify the last two pictures. The top picture is taken 60days off of full feed on test. The lower(big butted picture) is when he was on test. This is a full brother to the first picture he is a 2010 calf and the first picture is the 2011 calf.

Nice bull 3way, he oughta do good back on some purebred cows. Had my first balancer calf out of a non papered purebred red angus and my lt gov son last weekend. The calf is jet black out of a hetero black bull and red cow. Another red angus had a red heifer pink nose this week too. I've also had a cpl hetero black cows throw red calves this year. The bull calf is stout made and his length of spine really reminds me of that 3/4 red balancer bull you had.

Massey135":3q0qng51 said:
Nice bull 3way, he oughta do good back on some purebred cows. Had my first balancer calf out of a non papered purebred red angus and my lt gov son last weekend. The calf is jet black out of a hetero black bull and red cow. Another red angus had a red heifer pink nose this week too. I've also had a cpl hetero black cows throw red calves this year. The bull calf is stout made and his length of spine really reminds me of that 3/4 red balancer bull you had.

That length probably comes from the Govenor influence. Post a picture if you get a chance. BTW I just got another bull out of this calf's mother. It's out of that Designers Pride bull I posted about. This is her 4th bull in a row and he is a dandy.