Balancer Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

OleScout

Reaction score
Balancer bull we bought through the Seed Stock Plus sale was delivered last week. Pic is a still shot off the sale video. We really like his looks and attitude so far.
Will be a long wait anticipating his calves.

We have been buying some Balancer Bulls too. First calves started hitting the ground about 30 days ago and I'm impressed.

KR
He came off the Stuecken Bros Ranch.
Out of TMGC SB Revs Rock 205W

We've been running Balancer bulls for about 5 years. We really like the look and growth of the calves but the bulls we've had were throwing 40-50% red hides. Reds are docked pretty bad here.
This new bull is homozygous black so hoping that issue will be corrected.

Have about 25 calves on the ground out of this bull. Calves have been LBW and hit the ground growing. All solid black but 2 and they are black baldies. He has really helped my calf crop for consistency from a hodgepodge cow herd. Pulling through a gate yesterday and 7 of the little fellows were playing in front of the truck, couldn't tell them apart, looked like identical septuplets.
1 first calf heifer came in last week with no problem, 3 more due in the next couple of weeks.
If the calves grow off like I think they will and he will continue to play nice he will have a home for a while.

OleScout":1xjv6jgj said:
Have about 25 calves on the ground out of this bull. Calves have been LBW and hit the ground growing. All solid black but 2 and they are black baldies. He has really helped my calf crop for consistency from a hodgepodge cow herd. Pulling through a gate yesterday and 7 of the little fellows were playing in front of the truck, couldn't tell them apart, looked like identical septuplets.
1 first calf heifer came in last week with no problem, 3 more due in the next couple of weeks.
If the calves grow off like I think they will and he will continue to play nice he will have a home for a while.

Use the "add image to post" feature and update us on what he looks like. The calves too please.

My southern balancers look odd to me. Is the diluter gene at work? Not as "black" as I had pictured.

This calf is a few hours old and is a gray/black with a white face. Cow is a Black baldie sire is a red Gelbvieh. Other than this one we get solid calves.

Bigfoot and Coosh71,

If one parent is black and the other is gray or red, it is likely that the gray color in the calves is coming from the non-black parent. Some red and gray cattle have the diluter gene, which when bred to black parents may result in some gray calves.

To avoid having gray calves in the future, only buy red breeding stock that is diluter free.

We have had a few gray calves over the years out of diluter red cattle and the sale barn dings those calves pretty hard.

We are in our second breeding season with our balancer bulls. Last year virgin bulls had a 94% conception rate. Calves were all on the ground in a 72 day window. 67lb average birth weight (smaller than expected). Didn't pull a single calf. After a couple sets of twins, we ended up with one more calf than cows. I'm pretty pleased with those results. Interested to see how they grow out.

Here's one of our 3 year old balancer bulls. As you can see, we like red. Red balancer/red angus cross.

Bull calf at a couple days old:

They're pretty uniform. We've got a couple blond looking coats, but they are also out of lighter hided cows.

Where are you RRS.
Reds are docked so bad down here. The black Balancer bulls I had before this one threw 30-40% reds. Those reds were docked $10-15 a hundred. This new bull was purchased as homozygous black and so far all calves have been black. Mixed color cow herd of black, red and white faced.

@Olescout, I'm in the corner of SW Georgia. Red steers as singles get docked here too, but if you can get a semi load of them they'll bring top dollar. It's hard for the buyers at the sale barn to put together a "uniform set of cattle" if there are not many reds for sale.

We run an all red cow calf operation, but we usually end up all black with our feeders we buy. I would pay more for reds or whites if I could get 70 at a time, but we can't find that many at the same size here. They preform better in the heat and can still go north.

Just can't sell them any other way than pot loads.

Bigfoot":275cwjcq said:
My southern balancers look odd to me. Is the diluter gene at work? Not as "black" as I had pictured.

I have had a lot of balancer and purebred calves over the years that start out almost chocolate brown and shed off jet black, even calves that test homo blk sometimes start out like that. It's a Gelbvieh trait.

Latest posts