Balancer Bull..You folks tell me..UPDATE

Help Support CattleToday:

ok then, take harley's bull then. quite a bit younger than yours but showing bull head AND butt

I'm just saying, I like to see both

eta the yellow bull above is 10 mths, and I doubt in 4 mths your bull can achieve that level of masculinity

Keren":mfyfay1b said:
ok then, take harley's bull then. quite a bit younger than yours but showing bull head AND butt

I'm just saying, I like to see both

I like both too, and I won't argue Harley's bull. I guess we will just have to see how he comes out on test.

3way, I thought the first pic was a little young for a calf to take on a "bull look". He's progressing nicely. Keep us posted on this guy. Looks to be a good one.

Don't got enough depth, Kinda post legged. If they are going to be bull material they need to show it early. mnmtranching figured he showed to much round to suit you.

Red Bull Breeder":3l0hrq4x said:
Don't got enough depth, Kinda post legged. If they are going to be bull material they need to show it early. mnmtranching figured he showed to much round to suit you.

Red Bull I assume you are talking about the red Limo bull that Keren posted. Since he is posty and as with most red Limo's he lacks depth.

If you look at the LAST pictures I posted especially 3&6 you will se that my calf is not lacking depth, and in picture 6 he shows that he sure as heck isn't posty. What's next bad sheath?

I don't mind constructive criticism but you're way off base.

No sir Mister 3way i ain't talking about the red calf that keren posted i am talking about your crossbred black calf that i think is post legged. You put him you asked for comments you got them. He don't got no guts and no amount of feed or time will make a bull out of him that i would use. Now if anyone else wants to use him thats ok with me takes all kinds to make the world go round. Just need to remember you asked for comments on him.

Red Bull Breeder":1ugchnay said:
No sir Mister 3way i ain't talking about the red calf that keren posted i am talking about your crossbred black calf that i think is post legged. You put him you asked for comments you got them. He don't got no guts and no amount of feed or time will make a bull out of him that i would use. Now if anyone else wants to use him thats ok with me takes all kinds to make the world go round. Just need to remember you asked for comments on him.

http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/PDF/MP-398.pdf

Open this link and go to the picture on figure # 8 and tell me how that illustration compares with this

IMG00060-20090811-1539_edited.jpg

I asked for INFORMRED comments the two things that are NOT lacking in this calf are guts, and him being posty. Heck I might actually like to see him a little more masculine looking if it wasn't for the fact that he is out there trying to mount everything in the pasture.

If you want to see posty take a real look at the LIMO calf Keren posted. He's a heck of a lot more posty than my calf is. Of course he's a Red Limo and that gives him a pass with you on ALL faults. BTW he's no where near as deep in the heartgirth as my calf. He's also at least 8 months old and mine is 6. Now open the link and educate yourself as to what post legged really means.

3waycross....I think his birthweight of 72 pounds is not high enough because he shows extreme length. You could probably run the next one up to 90 pounds birthweight to increase the weaning weight the same percentage (around 25%). So if he weans 600 pounds, a 750 pounder could be within reach. What do you think?

DSCF0045_edited.jpg

HerefordSire":24w6ccwc said:
3waycross....I think his birthweight of 72 pounds is not high enough because he shows extreme length. You could probably run the next one up to 90 pounds birthweight to increase the weaning weight the same percentage (around 25%). So if he weans 600 pounds, a 750 pounder could be within reach. What do you think?

DSCF0045_edited.jpg

The sale he is going in won't even accept a calf to put on test if he is 90lbs or over. Why flirt with that number. I cut a real good calf because he was 92 birthweight. If he weans 600 on grass and Momma's milk I will be happy.

3waycross":1u6vueje said:
The sale he is going in won't even accept a calf to put on test if he is 90lbs or over. Why flirt with that number. I cut a real good calf because he was 92 birthweight. If he weans 600 on grass and Momma's milk I will be happy.

That is about as ethical as a person could be on your behalf. 2% over the limit and the bull gets cut? What sale is this?

3waycross":31qzt8st said:
So if If he weans 600 on grass and Momma's milk I will be happy.

Average 210 day ww, I think you will get a little more than 600lbs probably 650-675 min. As far as the head being feminin I can't see it .I do see the angus in his head though. I do not see posty legs.

My last balancer's head looked like this guy until he was about 11 months old ,,and then look out. ALL bull . I agree put him on test and I would love to see his carcass ultrasound results. Are you going to DNA him for marbling ? I think I am going to do that this year will all of my retainer bulls. It is just one more thing to offer your customers.

Went back reread thread, did not see where you said any thing about informed comments 3way. Didn't care much for the Limi calf that keren posted either alcattleman you are right post legs and no guts. Only difference in the two is the color. You could likely tell the red calf was a bull with out looking to see if he had a sack or a udder.

3way just say limi breeders need not reply!!

Red Bull Breeder":wa97hswe said:
Went back reread thread, did not see where you said any thing about informed comments 3way. Didn't care much for the Limi calf that keren posted either alcattleman you are right post legs and no guts. Only difference in the two is the color.You REALLY can't see the difference in the back legs on those two calves, or are you just gonna keep defending an undefendable position. You could likely tell the red calf was a bull with out looking to see if he had a sack or a udder.I would sure hope so. That calf is most likely a lot closer to 12 months than 6 like mine is, and yes he is posty and yes he is tube shaped

3way just say limi breeders need not reply!!
How about just the Limi breeders that know the difference in posty and not posty. I have nothing against you or your breed, but if you're gonna rip my calf then do it from a position of knowing what the definition of something really is.

I don't believe that but it strikes me as very amusing that a breeder of the one breed that is pretty famous for being built like a tube would say my calf lacks guts or capacity. By the way did you actually look at the picture on that link of what POST LEGGED really looks like. My calf might be the biggest POS on CT, but he by Gawd, is not POST LEGGED.

HerefordSire":3u371o0u said:
3waycross":3u371o0u said:

That is about as ethical as a person could be on your behalf. 2% over the limit and the bull gets cut? What sale is this?

I won't say what sale it is, I do not want to drag them into this. But they are strict for BW and PAP scores. They sell calving ease , hi altitude bulls, Gelbvieh, Angus , and Balancers. and they ask for strict adherence to their standards. As far as the 2% differential. I gues you either fudge it or you don't. I don't.

3waycross":3s4cb6p2 said:
HerefordSire":3s4cb6p2 said:
3waycross":3s4cb6p2 said:

I won't say what sale it is, I do not want to drag them into this. But they are strict for BW and PAP scores. They sell calving ease , hi altitude bulls, Gekbvieh, Angus , and Balancers. and they ask for strict adherence to their standards. As far as the 2% differential. I gues you either fudge it or you don't. I don't.
for god sake please don't,, theyll think they have entered some sort of psycho convention :lol2:

3waycross":1ugcqmf0 said:
HerefordSire":1ugcqmf0 said:
3waycross":1ugcqmf0 said:

I won't say what sale it is, I do not want to drag them into this. But they are strict for BW and PAP scores. They sell calving ease , hi altitude bulls, Gelbvieh, Angus , and Balancers. and they ask for strict adherence to their standards. As far as the 2% differential. I gues you either fudge it or you don't. I don't.

The long ones like your calf are easy calfers most of the time. So they could have beeders bringing the short ones weighing 89.9 pounds and cause issues. Therefore, halving a 90 pound limit for a birth weight is short sightedness for any sale and they underestimate the brains of their clients that raise the long ones like you. Don't you agree?

I guess you just have to draw the line somewhere and that's it. Frankly I don't want Bulls with that kind of birthweight running around with my name on them anyway.I kinda like that standard and will stick with it. They also don't allow anything with more than a 2.0 BW EPD either. I think it gives them a standard of credibility that is a good thing to have.

HerefordSire":1nevguni said:
The long ones like your calf are easy calfers most of the time. So they could have beeders bringing the short ones weighing 89.9 pounds and cause issues. Therefore, halving a 90 pound limit for a birth weight is short sightedness for any sale and they underestimate the brains of their clients that raise the long ones like you. Don't you agree?
I do not want to change the thread from the main topic. But as you have brought up the idea that long bodied cows have calving ease I felt the need to chime in. Birth weight and pelvic area are the main criteria having to do with calving ease. I do understand that other factors are involved. Is there somewhere I can read up on this longer bodied cow having better calving ease?

novatech":bb0g2mpu said:
HerefordSire":bb0g2mpu said:
I do not want to change the thread from the main topic. But as you have brought up the idea that long bodied cows have calving ease I felt the need to chime in. Birth weight and pelvic area are the main criteria having to do with calving ease. I do understand that other factors are involved. Is there somewhere I can read up on this longer bodied cow having better calving ease?

Gestation length plays an important role also.

Latest posts