Baked Beans

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
I tried my hand at some baked beans recenly (first time) and do believe there is room for improvement, any suggestions will be welcome.

This is my concoction, very random -
500g haricot beans(soaked overnight)
4 onions
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup tomato puree
black pepper
salt
dash worchester sauce
dash chilli powder
dash mustard powder
dash ketchup
dash sugar
10 cocktail tomatoes
1/2 green pepper
fresh basil

Boil beans for an hour them wash off skins (is this necessary or should I leave them in?)
Fry onions and garlic till soft
Add all other ingredients, fry
Add to beans (in pressure cooker) and cook for about an hour
Add thickner

It was quite tasty but something is missing...? Apart from canning, what would be the best method of storing? Thanks :D

I don't do baked beans but I do what we have always called Cowboy Beans
the recipe is
1lb of beans cooked or sometimes I just use 2 cans of pinto beans
1 large onion
1 med- large Bell pepper
1lb mild breakfast sausage
1lb ground beef
1lb bacon cut up in 1 inch peices
2lbs of ribeye or sirloin steak cut in 1 inch cubes
2 -3 bottles KC masterpeice original BBQ sauce
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup brown sugar

cook sausage and ground beef till half done add steak, bacon,onions and peppers and finish cooking til ground beef and sausage is done
put in large pot do not drain

add beans and BBQ sauce
turn heat to med hi and cook till starts a low boil add sugar and honey
turn heat to a simmer and cover stir occasionally and cook for about 2 hrs
you may need to add a little water and more brown sugar and honey to taste while simmering

I usually only cook these when we are having a big get together so there usually isn't any leftovers

Angus Cowman":3nwpwax2 said:
I usually only cook these when we are having a big get together so there usually isn't any leftovers
Thanks AC.I have family coming to stay at the end of the month, this sounds too scrumptious to let pass. I will let you know what the South Africans think of your Cowboy beans, this is kind of new to us. Do you serve it with bread on the side or something else?
ga.prime":3nwpwax2 said:
You forgot to put bacon in it.
:lol:
3waycross":3nwpwax2 said:
Alison here is a link to a very traditional BB recipe.
Thanks 3WC, that looks like a goodly one. I find the use of molasses interesting.

I read somewhere that when boiling beans one should not add any salt as this prevents the beans from softening, I don't know if there is any truth in that?

alisonb":1elmni1h said:
Angus Cowman":1elmni1h said:
Thanks AC.I have family coming to stay at the end of the month, this sounds too scrumptious to let pass. I will let you know what the South Africans think of your Cowboy beans, this is kind of new to us. Do you serve it with bread on the side or something else?
I usually serve these as a side dish to smoked brisket, pork or even burgers as you would with baked beans but my kids will just eat them by themselves

alisonb":10g6g2u9 said:
I read somewhere that when boiling beans one should not add any salt as this prevents the beans from softening, I don't know if there is any truth in that?
There isn;t

My mom makes the best beans , we ran out last summer at our deck party ,people could not get enough of them and they went amazingly with the pulled pork. I will have to remember to ask her for the recipe when I talk to her tonight :)

Here is a baked beans recipe I tried out. It was very easy to prepare.

Mix 2 cans of baked beans, ¼ cup molasses, chopped onions, 4 tablespoons of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons ketchup. Put the mixture onto a casserole dish and top it with minced beef and bake for about three hours.

It came out really well. You should try it out too.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
food coupons

AC - Your beans were a hit. I served them as a side dish to a barbecue, really good. I had to substitute the BBQ sauce with a SA product though, it shouldn't make too much of a difference.
Thanks again. :D

HD - have you spoken to your mom yet or won't she part with her recipe ;-) .

alisonb":3txolpbr said:
AC - Your beans were a hit. I served them as a side dish to a barbecue, really good. I had to substitute the BBQ sauce with a SA product though, it shouldn't make too much of a difference.
Thanks again. :D

HD - have you spoken to your mom yet or won't she part with her recipe ;-) .
glad you liked them

Alison I finally got it from mom today .

Now remember this is my moms , and I have yet to make it myself ;but will be doing it this week as hubby wants pulled pork and this goes with it amazingly .

This is nothing fancy like the others posted but it is really good.

3 cans beans with pork and molasses
1 can beans with tomato sauce
2 cans drained/rinsed kidney beans
1 pound fried crisp, lean crumbled bacon
1 lrg white onion diced and sauteed until tender
1 can of pineapple tidbits or crushed, drained
2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
1 cup of Ketchup
1 cup of your favorite smokey flavored BBQ sauce.

Mix all ingredients together well, add fresh ground pepper as desired. Let simmer on low in slow cooker overnight or first thing in the morning all day.

Sounds good HD. Interesting addition of the pineapple, will give it a bash and let you know how it turns out. Thanks :D .

alisonb":nxge7yi2 said:
Sounds good HD. Interesting addition of the pineapple, will give it a bash and let you know how it turns out. Thanks :D .

Made them tonight to slow cook overnight for pulled pork tomorrow . Will let you know too .. :D

Angus Cowman beans tonight...
Hope they are as good as they sound.

They are!!
I'm such an idiot. I should've taken a couple pics of the process.
Skillet was soooo full of bacon, ribeye, burger, and sausage.
The onion and pepper is nice too.
I ended up with 5 regular sized cans of beans. I'll assume the original recipe calls for 2 big cans!
Drain the water off the canned beans and save it in case u need it. We are a bit too liquidy right now.... lol
20201024_145438.jpg
It makes a LOT!

Got a pile of boneless pork ribs going on the grill after a while. And tater salad of course! We will just pretend its summer time ya'll..

Last edited:
Beans used to be the 'cheap protein alternative' meal.
Some of the recipes in this thread from 2010 would be pushing $40-$50 cost at today's grocery prices....

Latest posts