Bahia sprouts

Help Support CattleToday:

hillrancher

Reaction score
Asking a question that will be very stupid to some. We have planted some Bahia have had it planted for 3 weeks. I don't know what it looks like when it sprout. Would someone describe please.

Its very tiny. Usually has two leaves coming up from the ground but they are very thin and very delicate looking. You will probably think you don't have much of a stand but don't worry too much it will surprise you. Also, there is hard coated seed and soft coated seed in the batch. The soft coat will sprout first and then later the hard coat will sprout. This can be up to several weeks. If you think about it, this is a good environmental adaptation to insure against drought. There are some seeds out there that have been modified to sprout all at one time. I don't see the point in this and don't think it an improvement.

Edit: Here is a pic. I'll guess this these have been sprouted a week or so. Also notice the reddish tinge at the base of the plant. You may also find this helpful in id'ing it. Hope this helps.

http://www.bahiagrass.com/images/arg-seedlings2.jpg

Thanks jopeegus for the info . We have some coming up but not very much. We planted the corn in the garden the same time as we planted the first the corn has just come through the ground. We are planting behind the dozer on new cleared ground. We only get about 2 to 3 acres per day in the ground. We will have several days and the rain has delayed us for 2 weeks.

Also bahia establishes pretty slow so be patient.The hotter the better.Mine is just now starting to grow good now that we've hit the mid 80's. It prolly wont be to it's full potential for a year or 2.I like to plant millet as a nurse crop the first year.I followed Jogeephus advice on that and it worked good.

Cimmaron will kill it graveyard dead in 5 years when you are sick of it and ready for something better

edrsimms":1j3y67av said:
Cimmaron will kill it graveyard dead in 5 years when you are sick of it and ready for something better

You're right and I'm gonna do that but I've got to put some hay in the barn before I do it. I hate that Bohia.

lavacarancher":2qa3xu2z said:
edrsimms":2qa3xu2z said:

You're right and I'm gonna do that but I've got to put some hay in the barn before I do it. I hate that Bohia.

Bahia has some weak points but its also got many strong points as well. It sure has pulled me out of a few tight situations. I view it like the Energizer Bunny. It just gives you a steady growth for many months. Its starts quicker and ends later. No pests. No worms. No high fertilizer demands.

Yeah Jogeephus but it aint in style.Poor mans coastal.Nobody likes what the poor man has.I dont give a damn what it is as long as the cows eat it.Mine will pick bahia over just about anything else I have.

To me, its all about balance. I'd love to be in a situation where I could graze all year and not feed any hay. IF I could grow fescue I'm pretty sure I could. If you look at a growth and yield graph of bahia versus bermuda you can pretty well see the importance of bahia in our region. I've tried to fill in the void months with other things but they really are cost prohibitive on a large scale. I guess this means they are actually cost prohibitive on any scale (for brood cows anyway) its just that you don't feel it as bad. I got a little of everything planted. Each has its plusses and weaknesses.

jj216":yd9s4b6b said:
Yeah Jogeephus but it aint in style.Poor mans coastal.Nobody likes what the poor man has.I dont give a be nice what it is as long as the cows eat it.Mine will pick bahia over just about anything else I have.

Has a lot of sugars in it so cattle and horses love it. Horses will sometimes just nip the top seed head off and end up with an impaction. Lots of it over in East Texas and like it or hate it folks feed it.

Bohia might be pretty good stuff in the pasture for grazing but it don't belong in the hay meadow IMO. It's tough to cut for hay and the leaves are so thin that when dry, tough to bale. I don't like it for hay. Maybe that's what I should have said.

Oh yea. It ain't got nothin' to do with bein' in style. I didn't like it 20 years ago for hay and I don't like it now for hay.

lavacarancher":3dm48krx said:
Bohia might be pretty good stuff in the pasture for grazing but it don't belong in the hay meadow IMO. It's tough to cut for hay and the leaves are so thin that when dry, tough to bale. I don't like it for hay. Maybe that's what I should have said.

Oh yea. It ain't got nothin' to do with bein' in style. I didn't like it 20 years ago for hay and I don't like it now for hay.

I agree with you on the haying part. I don't bale much of it at all. It sure will dull the blades and I just don't get enough yield to warrent pulling the nutrients off the site. Cows do like it as hay though even though it is ugly looking when baled up. Or maybe its just mine that's ugly.

lavacarancher":2jhyst29 said:

What do the cattle thing of it??

TexasBred":ekdunbkk said:
lavacarancher":ekdunbkk said:

Cattle seem to like it. Its kinda funny cause when the bahia gets tall enough to bale its normally kinda tough and the cows don't seem to like it as much as something else. But if you cut it they jump on it quick. My experience anyway.

TexasBred":3thl0owp said:
lavacarancher":3thl0owp said:

Cattle love it! It's great stuff for foraging. It would be great in a pasture for grazing. As I said above I just don't like it for hay. Anyone who has tried to cut this stuff knows what I'm talking about.
:D

Oh it's tough cutting I agree but most of the folks over in the East Texas area have the stuff everywhere and cut it and feed it exclusively.