bahai

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
Going to redo some pastures.... Will probably use bahai seed. What variety would you use and why..... Its clay loam land that gets wet feet at times... and ph is normal

My place was planted in Pensacola and when it gets hot and a little try it just quits. Neighbor planted all his fields in tiff9. His grass comes on 2 weeks earlier, lasts a month longer, and stands a dry period better than anything else around here. This winter I'm gonna drill some oats and some tiff9 into my fields.

houstoncutter":368azokm said:
Going to redo some pastures.... Will probably use bahai seed. What variety would you use and why..... Its clay loam land that gets wet feet at times... and ph is normal

Tifton 9, HC it is more expense or Cheyene II Bermuda if you can find the seed. Seed goes a lot farther on the Bermuda per acre, but you will have to spray it ever year to keep the bahia out.
Pensacola is good grass as well these three I have found to be the best forage producers for our area.
My hayfield is Tifton 9 it it green's up faster and stay's in production longer than Argentina.
The cheapest and quickest route is common bermuda comes up quick and spreads like crazy, Bahia wil take it over eventually.

From what I understand tifton 9 is a cross of Pensacola Bahia . According to the Texas aTm web site it will cross pollinate with Pensacola and revert back in about 8 years . Bermuda is Bermuda but I would sprig tifton 85 if I had to do it again . I have a mixed field of tifton and coastal . The tifton is 10 inches taller right now and a lot thicker .

Caustic Burno":1rzxwuym said:
houstoncutter":1rzxwuym said:

Tifton 9, HC it is more expense or Cheyene II Bermuda if you can find the seed. Seed goes a lot farther on the Bermuda per acre, but you will have to spray it ever year to keep the bahia out.
Pensacola is good grass as well these three I have found to be the best forage producers for our area.
My hayfield is Tifton 9 it it green's up faster and stay's in production longer than Argentina.
The cheapest and quickest route is common bermuda comes up quick and spreads like crazy, Bahia wil take it over eventually.
For pasture I'd go with Pensacola or common Bermuda also . Or a mix

I planted TifQuik Bahia about 3 weeks ago and most of it is about 1-2 inches high now. Tifquik costs more but will yield more in the establishment year. In the second year, according to what I have read, there is not much difference between TifQuik and Tifton 9.

But my understanding is the tifton 85 is better suited to hay production because of its short growth period.

hooknline":2qtiq8ct said:
But my understanding is the tifton 85 is better suited to hay production because of its short growth period.
That's what I was told to when I bought the sprigs . The guy I got them from said the hooves would shatter the stem on the t 85 . But it sure makes nice hay .

JSCATTLE":298jepxp said:
hooknline":298jepxp said:
. The guy I got them from said the hooves would shatter the stem on the t 85 ..
Never seen this happen. There flat out is no better bermuda for grazing or for hay. It will stand drought better and use fertilizer more efficiently.

novatech":k3vu8u6h said:
JSCATTLE":k3vu8u6h said:
hooknline":k3vu8u6h said:
. The guy I got them from said the hooves would shatter the stem on the t 85 ..
Never seen this happen. There flat out is no better bermuda for grazing or for hay. It will stand drought better and use fertilizer more efficiently.

I agree. A guy next to our place brings in several hundred calves and grazes his tifton patches.

Not trying to be a downer... but you couldn't pay me to plant bahai. To each his own but my experiences have not been good.

Bermuda is not an option, this pasture gets wet feet and it is not possible to improve on the drainage, because it is in a flood plane. Bermuda's have their place, but I dont think this is one of them...Evertime it flooded, you would be getting a new type of grass seed or weed to kill with some herbicide...Which makes we wonder many times about bermuda grass. You ever notice how many types of sprays their are just for bermuda grasses...I need something tough, plant and forget it!

I was more interested in the bahai types that some of you have used and why. Open to all suggestions for other grasses, that will work in this area, but remember they have to be able to withstand wet feet

I sometimes wonder if you bermuda grass producers use a sharp pencil when you are figuring up the costs of your grass production. I know you get increased production and quality at times, but mercy u guys have to make several trips a year with the tractor and spray rig fighting weeds and bahai

My Bermuda gets sprayed every three years or so . I'd plant Bahia because it will grow on acid soils around 5.5 is good for Bahia . With it being flood plain I doubt you can keep enough fertalizer on it for bermuda . My grazing pastures are Pensacola Bahia and it grows good here .

Bahia is a good all around pasture grass. I do know here in the Ga. desert bahia is still growing a little, while the coastal has gone dorment. I like
tiff 9 bahia grass it greens up first and it can handle a early light frost. Plant tiff 9 I think you'll be happy with it.

houstoncutter":3jpdqh3s said:
Bermuda is not an option, this pasture gets wet feet and it is not possible to improve on the drainage, because it is in a flood plane. Bermuda's have their place, but I dont think this is one of them...Evertime it flooded, you would be getting a new type of grass seed or weed to kill with some herbicide...Which makes we wonder many times about bermuda grass. You ever notice how many types of sprays their are just for bermuda grasses...I need something tough, plant and forget it!

I was more interested in the bahai types that some of you have used and why. Open to all suggestions for other grasses, that will work in this area, but remember they have to be able to withstand wet feet

I sometimes wonder if you bermuda grass producers use a sharp pencil when you are figuring up the costs of your grass production. I know you get increased production and quality at times, but mercy u guys have to make several trips a year with the tractor and spray rig fighting weeds and bahai

Now I have got a lot of bottomland that stay's wet JSC gave you some dang fine advice plant Pensacola with common bermuda both can stand wet. There are areas the common will thrive and areas the Bahia will.
In the wettest place's in my pasture the bermuda thrives. You drive across my bottom and the grass will change back and forth three or four times between the two.

Latest posts