Bagged or not

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
I brought this cow home this morning with some weaners to help mow. I placed my bull with the herd in Dec and she palpated bred last month. After I got her home I started wondering if shes bagged or not. The problem is that there is about a week old calf out at the property that I was thinking belonged to one of my neighbors. However, one his bulls got into the pasture in August and might have bred her then. So now I'm wondering if I took a week old calf's moma away. Here's a link to 2 videos of her bag today. What say ye? Bagged or not?

She's not pacing or calling and the weaners are not hitting on her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMfS0ssaRA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IWC90AOkpY

hillsdown":3f8xb7ef said:
I am confused, what did you do with the calf ?
If I read it right, they left it at the property thinking it belonged to the neighbors herd.

2 1/2 hours and $20 in fuel later, moma is back with her calf. An unexpected pleasant surprise, the calf that is. A Sim heifer. The neighbor has had 3 heifers on my place for a month. One calved with in the 1st week they were there. So when another one turned up, and mine weren't due until end of Sept (having forgot about the bull visit back in August), I thought it was another of the neighbor's heifers calving. And as usual I was in a hurry and apparently not paying enough attention when loading them. It wasn't until I got home and didn't want to believe what I was seeing that I posted. Thanks for giving me a reality check. Fortunately the cow didn't give me any trouble loading back up and I was on my way back with in about 15 minutes after the 2nd post.

dcara,

Count your blessings, because you are one lucky cattlemen. I'm in the ditto group with the others, but you got the calf back. Everyone makes mistakes; the great thing is that they are back together.

snickers":1uhrrw7c said:
I'm really surprised that the cow wasn't wanting her calf back. how long was that calf at the neighbors?
The calf was not at the neighbors. She thought the neighbors calf was in her pasture ~ but it turned out to be her calf in her pasture. The calf and cow were seperated for less than a day.

Latest posts