Bag excessively large but small amount of milk

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Two weeks ago a heifers bag begain to swell and rear started getting loose so i pined her in a birthing pin. Saturday she had a calf, her bag only has tits about one inch long, the calf couldn't get ahold of them, put her in catch, milked her and bottle feed the calf, only got about a quart of milk but her bag is still hard and hot. Milking her twice daily, calf starting to sulk, but her bag is still hard, feels full but hardly anything comes out, any ideas would help

Guest":5s9n0kyu said:
Two weeks ago a heifers bag begain to swell and rear started getting loose so i pined her in a birthing pin. Saturday she had a calf, her bag only has tits about one inch long, the calf couldn't get ahold of them, put her in catch, milked her and bottle feed the calf, only got about a quart of milk but her bag is still hard and hot. Milking her twice daily, calf starting to sulk, but her bag is still hard, feels full but hardly anything comes out, any ideas would help

She has fever in the bag.

Kind of figured she had fever, her bag is hot to touch. Is there anything I can do about it? What caused it? Why would bag be this large without very much milk?

The best thing would be to have the vet culture the milk and see what form of mastitis she has. Barring that, get some type of intermammary injection mastitis treatment and hope that the stuff you get is the right thing to treat the form f mastitis she has. You will need to bottle feed the calf with a high quality milk replacer while the mastitis clears up. Unfortunetly, after this long there is a possibility that permanent damage has been done to the udder.

dun

Latest posts