Bad Weather for Cattle!

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
Went out to check cows yesterday morning (severe lightening and thunder storms all night) and saw what no producer wants to see... 7 dead cows all under a big Oak tree. Six commercial BA cows ( 5 y/o's due to calve in October) and one of our best 4 year old Red Angus bulls.
I still feel pretty fortunate to have only lost 7 head when we had 120 mamma's in this particular pasture. All the cows had calves but fortunately they must have been separated at the time of the strike. This all happened at the "Home" place and we are known to have a pretty large iron ore deposit running through the property. Lightening strikes in trees are pretty common place.
We have another bad storm passing through tonight so just keeping the fingers crossed all will be OK. Yes, the cattle were insured but it is still hard to loose good cows!

Sorry to that, one lost to lightening is still one too many, but yes it could have been worse.

So sorry for your loss. That was terrible! I fear losing some every time we have a bad storm. I look for us to have bad lightning any time now after these high temps that we are having. Yes, it always hurts to lose some. We have insurance on ours, but I do not want to lose any.

Sorry to hear about your cattle.

I worry about it some, especially on a day like yesterday. Front yesterday morning, lots of lightning, and a bigger front yesterday evening that was as bad or worse. I was feeding the yearlings a little bite as it got closer. When they got done I drove them out of the lot and down the hill, bred heifers too. Barn with pipe pens is on a hill with few trees within a 100 yds.

The Farm Service Agency will reimburse on cattle lost to lightening as well as other weather related deaths.

So sorry for your loss, being in The lighting capital of Florida it is a constant worry. We have lost a few to lighting but never a group like that at once. I honestly don't know how we have avoided it but am sure thankful. Hearing this is just heart breaking.

Gizmom

Sorry to hear of your loss. I have been fortunate to only have lost one cow several years ago. I always worry about that when it storms.

Latest posts