Bad scours

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
I have got a calf that has got the scours really bad. It goes out one end as fast as I can put electolytes in the other. It's a hopeless battle. What would you suggest to give him? I've never seen one this bad before.

It's a bit crude, but grind up a charcoal bricket and put it in his eltorlytes. The kind without the fire starter chemical

dun

You could try another type of electrolytes and probiotics. Also some antibiotics if the vet thinks it is bacterial. Have you tried any Kaolin Pectin?

dun":290pyscd said:
It's a bit crude, but grind up a charcoal bricket and put it in his eltorlytes. The kind without the fire starter chemical

dun

Good Idea but i would start off with a small dose, you could lock him up, speaking from personal experience. No fun to give enemas.

Electrolyte solutions generally will not cure scours, they do keep the calf hydrated, and alive while the antibiotics kill the bacteria in his gut that is causing the problem. Keeping him on electrolytes and antibiotics for two or three days will usually do the trick. It is important that you do both steps, keep him off milk and treat aggressively with the antibiotics. When you return him to the milk diet, give him a squirt of Probios to restart the good bacterial action in his digestive tract. Good luck.

Latest posts