Bad part of canning

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I canned this stuff with my grandmother 6 years ago and have been canning every year it got to a point I had to stop and clean and purge. I don't know how many jars I have but I ordered 150 regular mouth and 150 wide mouth off eBay. Pigs will be happy.

Attachments

• IMG_20220812_225249588.jpg
    IMG_20220812_225249588.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220812_225242865.jpg
    IMG_20220812_225242865.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220811_105326149.jpg
    IMG_20220811_105326149.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220811_095444921.jpg
    IMG_20220811_095444921.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220811_095440467.jpg
    IMG_20220811_095440467.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
Real nice job as canning is a big job, but well worth it. You know what you are eating, out of the garden is so much better that store bought and a lot less additives. I have so much left over I probably canned less this year than in a long time. I canned some pickles this year that are second to none and 56 quarts of beans. If the SHTF today I could hold out with what is on my shelves and freezer for months. Wide mouth jars are alright, but I like the regular as in the long term I have better luck with sealing. Less area to seal.

If the seal is still good a lot of canned food is still nice after 6 years if stored properly. I ate frozen corn out of the freezer from 2013 that was as good as 2022 this year. If the seal is broken it will kill the hogs dead if they eat it. A neighbor learned that the hard way.

My cotton is looking good.

LDcqyTs.jpg

Except for the grass my peanuts are healthy...that grass came out of no where in the last few days.

hhitduf.jpg

Last edited:
Loli could have sent you a bunch of cotton. What variety of peanuts are you raising? Yea if you don't spray grass is a mfer. Yea I love canning and I think we are both in the hold out for months spot. I like wide mouth cause I can lots of tomatoes and sweet potatoes it's easier to get them in and in this case out 😉

After several years, I'm just now out of home canned candied jalapenos.
Had to buy a jar last week and it was nearly $7 for a small jar.
Now, gotta go to farmers market and see if anyone is selling peppers.

Looks good and little jars of candied peppers are great for gifts to friends and family but I'd go thru one of those in 2 sittings.

After several years, I'm just now out of home canned candied jalapenos.
Had to buy a jar last week and it was nearly $7 for a small jar.
Now, gotta go to farmers market and see if anyone is selling peppers.
Walmart always has jalapeno peppers. Nice plum ones and five pounds for about $5 will buy a lot of peppers.

She calls it cowboy candy
That is the correct name and it is made under that trademarked name in Shepard Tx, about15 miles from my old place, and has been operated by the same family for many years. Will Hamzly. I knew his brother quite well as he was one of my father's best friends and he was at my dad's place almost daily.

WHH Ranch Shepard Tx

(take my advice. Avoid the 'hot dog in a jar'. It tastes just what it sounds like..a couple of ground up wieners mixed into a jar of mustard. I don't know what's really in it, but that's what it reminded me of the one and only time I tried it when Dad gave me a gift pack of their products..)

@jltrent Blinded by the greenery- wow! I've been to almost every state...and Virginia i loved the best for weather, rolling hills...perfect distribution of seasons...not too hot, not too cold. Best kept state secret. After the economy turns down...I'm going to buy someone's Virginia farm, hire two employees and become a gentleman farmer...walking around the cattle estate with a pack-back of bananas...making the decisions...even at 85 with cane in hand. That's my last bucket wish....go to Virginia and buy a really big farm.

@jltrent Blinded by the greenery- wow! I've been to almost every state...and Virginia i loved the best for weather, rolling hills...perfect distribution of seasons...not too hot, not too cold. Best kept state secret. After the economy turns down...I'm going to buy someone's Virginia farm, hire two employees and become a gentleman farmer...walking around the cattle estate with a pack-back of bananas...making the decisions...even at 85 with cane in hand. That's my last bucket wish....go to Virginia and buy a really big farm.
Come on up we will take all the Texans we can get.

Latest posts