bad luck with lutalyse

Help Support CattleToday:

cleland

Reaction score
We had a set of heifers set up to AI this weekend, and for some reason, only two came into heat. Tomorrow will be the 5th day after the shot was given. What is the best thing to do with the ones that did not cycle? They are all in good condition and had been cycling before. We used the MGA/ Prostaglandin method, and it has obviously not worked well. Any Sugestions?

cleland":10svmhu2 said:
We had a set of heifers set up to AI this weekend, and for some reason, only two came into heat. Tomorrow will be the 5th day after the shot was given. What is the best thing to do with the ones that did not cycle? They are all in good condition and had been cycling before. We used the MGA/ Prostaglandin method, and it has obviously not worked well. Any Sugestions?

Do you know when they last cycled? If they had just cycled, the lute won't work. You might consider CIDRS.

Give another shot 11 days after the first, the remaining heifers should be in heat within 6 days after the shot providing they are sexually mature enough to cycle. FWIW in my experience there is a reason why Estrumate is more expensive than Lutalyse.

KNERSIE":25f4xuer said:
. FWIW in my experience there is a reason why Estrumate is more expensive than Lutalyse.

Read the directions on the bottle of Lute and then throw it away.

Then follow Knersie

Lute - we used it once and never again

Estrumate is a far better product - been using it for years - never fails
Bez+

I have never had problems with lute. These heifers were al cycling, we fed mga to get them all grouped together and they cycled right after we pulled them off, just not after the lutalyse shot. I will for sure try estrumate next time though

cleland":3hzx54ex said:
I have never had problems with lute. These heifers were al cycling, we fed mga to get them all grouped together and they cycled right after we pulled them off, just not after the lutalyse shot. I will for sure try estrumate next time though
I used to think lute did a good job for me as well. This year I switched to estrumate and I definately won't go back to lute. Estrumate is a better product, no doubt in my mind. I read your two posts in this thread and i'm patching together what you did but I have a couple questions. I realize you were feeding MGA but are you sure they were all getting it? You said they cycled after you quit the MGA right? If that is so, how long after they cycled did you give the shot of lute?

When I call the vet for a bottle of Lutalyse, he always reminds me that you have to give them 6-7 mil for it to work (rather than the 5 mil labeling). Then he sends out the estrumate. I'm totaly on board with the Estrumate users.

I wont use lutalyse again on my cow..worthless..she never came in..and I followed the vet's directions and dosing to the letter....

will have to look inot Estrumate.

I have used estrumate pretty much only when aborting or synching however your product is only as good as your animal..

In other words shytt happens, it could be the prostaglandin or it could have been the animal..

I've done a lot of synching using both products interchangebly. I use whichever one is cheaper (usually using a few hundred doses each year), and sometimes it is the Estrumate, but more often than not it is the Lutalyse. I do like the 2 cc dose better so if price is close I use the Estrumate. We have not had any issues; our response rate is right where it should be on cows (about 2/3 response for one shot) and our conception is 70-80% breeding on observed heats. I have not noticed any difference between products. I use 2 cc for Est. & 5 cc for Lut. Having said that, this is product bought in Canada, and our drugs could have different strengths due to licencing requirements. I know that our CIDR's had more active ingredient than the ones in the US at one point, and maybe still do?

As was mentioned earlier heifers are a different question. I have had varying success with PG's on heifers, even using a two shot system. Yet I turn them in with a bull and they mostly breed first cycle. There are a few things to consider; sexual maturity, the heifers naturally synching heats with each other and the shorter estrous cycles of most heifers versus cows. Most of these systems are set up with the assumption of a 21 day cycle. It is not uncommon for the heifers I have worked with to have 14-17 day cycles, and uncommon for one to hit 21 days.

Latest posts