Bad luck this week

Help Support CattleToday:

bbirder

Reaction score
Had first calf of this season. Heifer's first calf went well. She handled everything herself and had a nice bull calf Tues. Wed I found the calf dead. He was laying in the hay around the rack. I can only guess that he was stepped on by another cow. Hadn't been dead long because he wasn't stiff yet. :(

Hope the rest of the season goes better.

skyhightree1

Reaction score
bbirder":336ije8u said:
Had first calf of this season. Heifer's first calf went well. She handled everything herself and had a nice bull calf Tues. Wed I found the calf dead. He was laying in the hay around the rack. I can only guess that he was stepped on by another cow. Hadn't been dead long because he wasn't stiff yet. :(

That stinks sorry. Yea I had one step on its baby this year caused internal bleeding and it died.

fitz

Reaction score
bbirder":306sntqr said:

Hope it goes better for you also. I lost one the same way. She brought him into the others within hours. I often fuss about them keeping the calves isolated from the herd for days. Seems they are smarter than me.

fitz

Williamsv

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. I never had thought of that happening, but they do like to lay in the hay. Now I will worry about that happening to one of mine. We never know what one will get into next.

Latest posts