bad leg?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bub

Reaction score
the other day i noticed i had a heifer (500 lb range) thats was just laying around on her side. went out made her get up she was favoring one of he front legs pretty good i watched her for some time she could walk an try to put weight on it but moved off with a limp i shrugged it of as maybe twisted joint or something. went checked on her today now her front leg looks good but her hind leg on the same side is swelled up what looks from the hip all the way down to the hock i was able to get my hand on her it fills as if she has fluid right under her skin i gave her a shot of al 200 do y'all have any ideals or suggestions on whats going on thanks

was the swelling hot??? Sounds like she's getting knocked around by others or she maybe in heat getting rode at every angle by other calves or cows...

Speaking of blackleg, a close friend lost 5 in one pasture and 4 in another in 24 hours to it! The dairy next door to them lost a few also.... such a cheap vaccine for prevention!

We blackleg our calves at 6-12 weeks or whenever we get them in to move to pasture or something. The cows get a booster shot every year at preg check. Lost 2 in 2 days one year and managed to save 2 others at a rented pasture and learned our lesson real quick. The vet said that before 6-8 weeks, the calf should have a passive immunity from the cows' colostrum and milk.

Yes, it is CHEAP INSURANCE, to give them the shot.

I have a calf that about 7 months old it doesn't put no wait on its back lag at all it was in the pen with horses it swollen at the knee and that's the only place it is swollen at it doesn't look or feel broken

Bub":igupopgf said:
the other day i noticed i had a heifer (500 lb range) thats was just laying around on her side. went out made her get up she was favoring one of he front legs pretty good i watched her for some time she could walk an try to put weight on it but moved off with a limp i shrugged it of as maybe twisted joint or something. went checked on her today now her front leg looks good but her hind leg on the same side is swelled up what looks from the hip all the way down to the hock i was able to get my hand on her it fills as if she has fluid right under her skin i gave her a shot of al 200 do y'all have any ideals or suggestions on whats going on thanks
Sounds like an injury to me.
Can happen anytime an animal gets it's front leg accidentally caught in something and struggles violently to get free.
Rear leg could be bruising or deep soft tissue damage, sometimes nerve damage occurs or even a fracture.

If possible isolate animal in a well bedded pen and give anti-inflammatory drugs. ie aspirin and/or banamine
Depending on severity most recover within 2-3 weeks.
IF you don't see improvement within 2 weeks of giving banamine then usually permanent damage has been done.

Latest posts