Bad Injection Site

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I gave a 4 week old holstein an injection of LA 200 into his hip two days ago. Now his hip is swollen and he is limping. I realize I hit something wrong, but is there anything I can to do to help him through this?

[email protected]

My history with LA is that it usually does cause some swelling and discomfort. How big is the swollen area? The size of a golf ball or the size of a penny. I had given a few shots in the back leg and the animal has had difficulty walking for a week or so. I normally just let the animal walk it off and they, for me thus far, have always just gotten better. If you hit a bone with the needle, it is possible that the area may get an infection. IF that is the case you may have to cut the infected area open and start it on some pen. If the swollen area stays for a few weeks, is large and hard you may want to consult with a vet or someone to see if it is infected.
> I gave a 4 week old holstein an
> injection of LA 200 into his hip
> two days ago. Now his hip is
> swollen and he is limping. I
> realize I hit something wrong, but
> is there anything I can to do to
> help him through this?

[email protected]

I know it's handy, but never give shots in the hip/rump. The neck or forward of the shoulder is the right place.

dunmovin farms

> I gave a 4 week old holstein an
> injection of LA 200 into his hip
> two days ago. Now his hip is
> swollen and he is limping. I
> realize I hit something wrong, but
> is there anything I can to do to
> help him through this?

The calf will be alright as far as shot goes. I have about come to the conclusion that LA200 is a sucky drug.I don't get very good results from it.

[email protected]