Bad eyes on calves

Help Support CattleToday:

gnmfarm

Reaction score
We are in Southern Indiana. We weaned 35 calves in Sept. & 4 have white centers in their eyes with red around it. No, it doesn't look quite like pinkeye. We free-choice kelp & the iodine in it has kept us from having pinkeye problems the past twelve years. We occasionally do see a bad eye in the middle of the winter, but they always clear up without any treatment. Now I see a 20 month old bred heifer has a bad eye. The cows eyes are perfectly clear. We have not vaccinated for at least 5 years. We feed the calves to about 1100# and all are sold as freezer beef. They are crossbred cattle with an angus bull.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am unsure if it's not pinkeye, but could STD's cause it?

I talked to our vet & he says to use a internasal vaccine for IBR & see if they clear up from that treatment. We have not vaccinated in the last 5 years, so it could be IBR. Anybody out there have any ideas on this?
Thanks!

I'm gonna assume that the weather is the same in your area as mine. I have had a bad year for pinkeye. I also thought it might have been IBR. The vet said it was in deed pinkeye. He gave some hydrocortizone cream to put in the bottom eye lid every 2 days. I saw an improvement within 2 treatments.
Is there any particuilar reason for not vaccinating?

No, I don't have a good reason for not vaccinating. We have three teenage boys in varsity sports, 4-H, Junior Leaders, & FFA (which we are beginning to realize also stands for "Father Farms Alone"). Did you use a 1% hydrocortisone creme?
We do need to get back on a vaccination scedule.
P.S. to Ohio--Our oldest is now a sophmore in Army ROTC at Xavier University. What a beautiful college!

gnmfarm":1aldw82g said:
Did you use a 1% hydrocortisone creme?
We do need to get back on a vaccination scedule.

The cream the vet gave me is called Vetropolycin HC. Yes it 1% hydrocotisone acetate. Combined with a dose of LA-200. It is all cleared up.

We vaccinated with the nasal IBR last Friday. It may actually be pinkeye because all but one calf's eyes were so much better. It has been cloudy & their eyes are clearing up on their own. Darn those late season flies-they must have brought the pinkeye in.
Thanks for your help.

Latest posts