Bad eyes on Baby calves!

Help Support CattleToday:

J+

Reaction score
I have asked this question before and thought that I had solved the problem but obviously not! I am starting to get bad eyes on the baby calves of the fall herd and can't seem to get them over it. I have used nuflor, bana, and also patched the eyes like the vet said and they are not clearing up! Please help!

J+

They are watering but they are also getting white dots on them! I vaccinate all of my cattle and I am getting ready to vaccinate my fall herd in a month or so! I have never had any problem s until the last year of so!

J+":2rwyjo10 said:
They are watering but they are also getting white dots on them! I vaccinate all of my cattle and I am getting ready to vaccinate my fall herd in a month or so! I have never had any problem s until the last year of so!

Is the white dot centered or off to the side or lower or higher. If it's centered it's probably pinkeye, if it's off center it's probably IBR. Not all vaccines cover all of the sdtains of the diseases they'r made to vaccinate for.

dun

I would bet IBR as well. It seems highly unusual for a lot of baby calves to get pinkeye. I don't think I've ever had a case on a calf.. older heifers or cows.

Are these white-face calves?

One old-timer told me that he failed to give a booster, and the initial dose without the booster caused an out-break of eye problems.

These calves are on heifers and they are mostly all red calves! I vaccinate all of my cattle every year. I haven't had problems before and I don't understand how IBR could get into my heard! If I vaccinate wouldn't that help in the prevention or spread of IBR and how do I get this problem under control. Thanks!

J+

Depends on what you vaccinate with. Is it a killed virus, modified live virus, or a live virus?

Professional Vet board eh? Call a real vet someone than can help. No one has seen these calves but you. Can't get the help you need here.

Would you jusst go away.

Killed virus!

That the least effective. You should try a live or atleast a modified live next time, but you have to ber careful around pregnant cows. Be sure and read all of the warning label.

I have called a real vet, KSU and many other people who I think know what they are talking about. The first thing that I was told about the cattle business was to always ask questions! Their are some people on this web site that I trust very much. I apologize if you don't approve but you don't have to log on!

J+

My Daddy always said, "Ask lots of questions and get different answers. What might not pertain to the problem at hand... might be the answer later."

kjerckie":1p3u83pa said:
My Daddy always said, "Ask lots of questions and get different answers. What might not pertain to the problem at hand... might be the answer later."

good advice... you might know 90+% of what is being said, but if you dont ask and then shut up and listen you wont ever learn the other 10%

jt

J+":3jv5rbro said:
I have called a real vet, KSU and many other people who I think know what they are talking about. The first thing that I was told about the cattle business was to always ask questions! Their are some people on this web site that I trust very much. I apologize if you don't approve but you don't have to log on!

J+

So what did KSU say?

dun

The guy at K-state said that I need to keep the grass clipped and vaccinate every year. (this is when i had the problem for the first time this spring) He also said that it might be the hay i was feeding. Well, the grass is clipped, I vaccinate every year, and I am not feeding hay right now. The cattle are in good shape and I can not afford to have many bad eyes when I sale. The gentlemen from KSU is coming down pretty quick to look at them. The wonderful cattle business!

J+

J+":1zpvy88b said:
The guy at K-state said that I need to keep the grass clipped and vaccinate every year. (this is when i had the problem for the first time this spring) He also said that it might be the hay i was feeding. Well, the grass is clipped, I vaccinate every year, and I am not feeding hay right now. The cattle are in good shape and I can not afford to have many bad eyes when I sale. The gentlemen from KSU is coming down pretty quick to look at them. The wonderful cattle business!

J+

In defernce to CB I'll start with this disclaimer. Not being a vet, it still sounds like IBR and not generic pinkeye.. You asked earlier where it comes from. I'ld like to know too. We had a closed herd and no problems. 2 years in a row we had 1 yearling heifer each year that got IBR. All vaccinated with MLV and boostered, plus their yearling vaccination.

dun

Latest posts