Bad experience this morning

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
I've never been accused of being a tree hugger or in bed with PETA but this morning I stopped by my local ACE hardware store to pick up a couple of things. Just inside the doors by the registers were three "cages" containing baby chicks, ducks and guineas. I assume they were there in preparation for Easter. Well, there was a Daddy standing by the cages with his 4 YO spoiled, overindulged little girl. Daddy reached in and picked up one of the baby chicks and handed to the little girl. She oood and awed until it moved in her hand then she screamed and dropped the baby chick to the floor. It was clearly injured. Daddy picked the chick up, placed it back in the cage and repeated the scene. Same thing, same results. Two down.

I couldn't keep quite! I said rather loudly that he should do all of them that way to see how many survived. He got pizzed, the little girl started crying, I was already pizzed, the store manager got pizzed and asked me to leave. I asked her (store manager) what she thought was going to happen to all those babies between now and a week after Easter. Her response was "I really don't care". I am thinking really seriously about calling animal protection. Dam, I hate people, especially city people. :mad: :mad: :mad:

There was a middle aged lady standing by the cages while all of this was going on and after I left the store she came out to my truck as I was driving off and thanked me for speaking out. I guess one out of 6 or 8 people is not too bad.

That would leave me boiling, though I'm not sure what the answer is. I would be very tempted to contact the store owner. Not only to deal with the managers attitude, but the chicks should not be accessible to the public. If for no other reason than to protect themselves from parents that let their kids pick up dirty chicks and then stick their hand in their mouths.

M.Magis":2mcmm34x said:
If for no other reason than to protect themselves from parents that let their kids pick up dirty chicks and then stick their hand in their mouths.

And that's why you need to carry hand sanitizer. Plus, you can make sure your salad stays germ free.

Seriously, though, I hate that these chicks are accessible to people and sold as part of Easter fare. A live animal carries a heck of a lot of responsibility with it. I have a 5 y/o that gets upset when we have to wait to eat dinner until after the cattle are fed or watered. I remind him that we have to take care of them b/c they cannot do it themselves.

Personally I would call animal control because if there going to sell them there's things they can do to prevent that I don't like TSC all that much but they are the best at protecting chicks as they put corral panels in the store and put chicks inside and only the store personnel has access to the chicks.

skyhightree1":394q4arm said:
Personally I would call animal control because if there going to sell them there's things they can do to prevent that I don't like TSC all that much but they are the best at protecting chicks as they put corral panels in the store and put chicks inside and only the store personnel has access to the chicks.

I agree, that store definitely needs to change their practices as related to live animals, to insure the safety and well being of both the animals and public. Not only can the animals be injured, but a couple years ago, I understand some folks got salmonella from handling baby chickens in some stores.
I not a fan of TSC either, but like you said they do try to protect the chicks. I don't know if it is just here or their store wide policy, but here they will only sell a minimum of 6 chicks or ducks, and have signs up saying for agricultural purposes only, to help insure that they aren't purchased for simply an Easter pet.

skyhightree1":uo4nk2u6 said:
About maybe two years ago the TSC in my town started doing that but before that you could get at the chicks they even had hand sanitizer for you to use before and after handling the chicks

I keep looking for tuna-safe canned dolphin but seems no one wants to inulge my tastes for the better things in life. :mad: .

"Hey Granpaw--What's for supper?"
FLIPPER--King of the Sea!!!

Ky hills":edqhnlk4 said:
I don't know if it is just here or their store wide policy, but here they will only sell a minimum of 6 chicks or ducks, and have signs up saying for agricultural purposes only, to help insure that they aren't purchased for simply an Easter pet.
That's actually a state law. They do it here as well, I think most states have minimums now. I'm not one for more gov regulation, but I'm sure it does prevent a lot chicks being cuddled to death.

Latest posts