Bad Egg

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
My question is how long can an egg stay in the coop before it goes bad? Usally I get the eggs every other day at 85 degrees.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":2vhbwl6g said:
My question is how long can an egg stay in the coop before it goes bad? Usally I get the eggs every other day at 85 degrees.

Thanks,
Alan
when my hens are laying.i get the eggs 2 or 3 times a day.an if i let them stay out there in the heat.for a day or 2 i chunk them.dont need to risk bad eggs.

Alan":117l9kxu said:

Thanks,
Alan

Depends on whether it's fried or scrambled.

What I do is just crack open the egg and see how it looks. Unless a hen has been sitting on it it should be fine. Even with the hen it might still be okay just have to look at it.

Think of years ago when there was no refrigeration.

I remember when the grocery stores just had the cartons sitting around the store and not in the refrigerated cooler thing.

I probably have some out there now that have been there a couple of days also.

Now when I find a nest where the girls changed spots on me and didn't tell me ;-) I will take those eggs and do the float thing.

I always crack my eggs seperate just in case anyway.

I gather eggs every other day when I am working. My hens are afternoon layers. Every now and again you find a clutch you don't know what's up with, so I do the float test.

Get some room temp water in a bowl and put the egg in the water. If it stays on the bottem, it's fresh. If it floats a little on one end, not lifting the egg off the bottem of the bowl, it's okay. If it floats entirely, it's old.

That air cell on the blunt end gets bigger as the egg ages.

Latest posts