Bad day

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid

Reaction score
Well today was not a good day. One of our best cows came up yesterday looking like she had just calved but no calf in sight. Then kept acting like she was still in labor. Vet confirmed today that she probably calved a couple of days ago. So that's one lost calf.

Then we had the vet check our best cow as she wasn't holding her BC as she normally does. She was due to calve in March. Vet said she is carrying a dead calf and a tumor the size of a basketball. So no new calf and our best cow that has to be hauled to town.

But that is all part of raising cattle.......just needed to vent a little.

Jovid":3l38hug3 said:
Well today was not a good day. One of our best cows came up yesterday looking like she had just calved but no calf in sight. Then kept acting like she was still in labor. Vet confirmed today that she probably calved a couple of days ago. So that's one lost calf.

Then we had the vet check our best cow as she wasn't holding her BC as she normally does. She was due to calve in March. Vet said she is carrying a dead calf and a tumor the size of a basketball. So no new calf and our best cow that has to be hauled to town.

But that is all part of raising cattle.......just needed to vent a little.
it is....they have their roll in the proccess.. be nice not too have em, but you can't keep movein' forward without em ... but it seems to me like, the best cows are the ones that often go unnoticed they don't stand out but bring up a live calf every year

Well to balance things out six new calves today and 9 in the last 36 hours.

I am enjoying the best weather for calving in some years.

Sorry Jovid that you lost a couple unfortunaly sh** happens to us all.

Jeff

Sorry to hear about your bad day. Wish they never happened but in this business it does. We just keep moving forward and hope that sort of thing doesn't happen again for a long, long time.

Sorry for your loss. Nice to see someone brought back down to mother earth though.

Sorry for your troubles Jovid. Here's to a good rest of the year for you and this whole country.

cowman30":shbr7zkd said:
Sorry for your loss. Nice to see someone brought back down to mother earth though.

It's comments like that which give folks a true glimpse of your person.

I'd wager you're not half as mouthy in person. If so, I bet your dentist loves you.

cowman30":amg8g4a6 said:

You have all heard him spew his venom before and now here it comes again. Wonder how long this incarnation will last. :mad:

Sorry for your troubles Jovid, I thought I was good at inventing ways to lose money on cows. Today you beat me for sure.

gberry":28s2esch said:
cowman30":28s2esch said:
Nice to see someone brought back down to mother earth though.

Surely you did not mean this the way it sounds.[/quote] surely he did too... he know's folks are on too him, and he's going out like he always do... like a 59 year old monkey ass

I agree, bad day.

Not only did the group of young bulls get out of their paddock and into the silage paddock (eating through the plastic wrap and ruining several bales), one of them then got into the paddock with the ET recips who were all set to be implanted THAT NIGHT :mad: Needless to say that bull was having a wonderful time

bigbull338":1nbdy7ev said:
its always the best cows that have something happen to them.

They definitely were our two best cows. The one that has to go town is the dam of our SR herd sire OC Osage Red Boy posted on our website. The other cow that lost her calf is the dam of our JR herd sire the bull I posted an update on here the other day.

Thank you all for you concerns and comments.

Jovid

Yep some days suck more than others. We celebrated Valentines evening from 10:30 until, about 2:45 am one of my best flush cows after she had a uterine prolapse..I just hope she will make it long enough to raise her heifer calf ..Just a sh@tty situation she laid down in the wrong spot and couldn't get up,,her straining caused her to prolapse..So this will be her last year as I doubt she will be even flushable again..We did our best and got everything back in place including the horns so I just cross my fingers..And no vet was called either..

That is one of the worst sites a cattle person ever wants to see..

Keep your head up Jovid as tomorrow will hopefully be better.. :)

Latest posts