Bad Day

Help Support CattleToday:

lilmissfit

Reaction score
We had our horses trimmed last Friday. Our QH Fred who is a big stocky horse must not have had much sole growth in the past six week and when the farrier went to trim him he nicked him and a spot hemmoriged. He put some topical solution on him and when we got home I put some bute in his feed. He seemed a bit stiff on Saturday. We then soaked his foot in epson salt and I uses alcohol on the sole to try and harden it. Wrapped it to keep it clean. Continued with powdered bute. He seemed a bit stiff, but not too bad, then Sunday he was worse. Monday morning I went to the vet clinic and picked up injectable bute and began giving him 10 cc daily and put xynedine on it and kept it wrapped. He seemed to pick up his appetite a bit so I was hopeful. Last night he seemed a bit off, but it has been so miserably hot here I figured that was why. I keep the horses out on pasture with a round bale and fresh water. Bring them in to grain them in the evening and then they go back out. We have a run in shed for them also. This morning I had to leave early for out patient surgery. (arthroscopic knee surgery) I saw the horses around the hay feeder when I left and didn't think much of it. When I returned home this afternoon, I had my daughter help me get the grain around and I was just going to feed out of buckets outside. We went out and the other 3 horses came right up. I walk towards the run in shed and saw Fred on the ground dead. It looks as if he just layed down and died. It didn't look like he had colic'd or had been thrashing around. I am at a loss. He was a bit stiff last night, but did eat and drink and seemed ok in general. My husband travels and won't be home until next Thursday, I don't know how I am going to tell him the news. :( :(

I dont know, that seem sawful fast. Whats the vet think? Did you tell your farrier?

My condolences on yuor loss.

Take care of the knee. My wife just had a scope job to rebuild her rotator cuff so i know what you are going through.

Latest posts