bad case of warts

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a couple of weined calves that have developed a bad case of warts. They are mainly around the face and neck. Is there anything that I need to do or will they just run there course? I was going to sell them but I am afraid the warts will hurt the price they would bring. They look pretty bad. Also, are the warts contagious?

The warts will run their course, so to speak. But to speed the process along, use a pliers to pinch one or two on the animal so the warts bleed. The theory is the bleeding gets the animals body to recognize the virus within the wart and create antibodies to fight it. If you are real concerned a vet can burn them off for you. As far as contagious, i don't know. Do you mean animal to animal, or animal to person? I would wash or wear a glove, just to be safe. I don't think one growing on my eye would be good?!?

Yes it will hurt them in the sale ring. Not because it should, but it's another way for the buyers to get an edge.
Also, please register, I had wanted to send you a PM about something a while back, can't recall what about, and couldn't because of not being registerd.
Thanks

dun

stillok":2rmouoa4 said:
I have a couple of weined calves that have developed a bad case of warts. They are mainly around the face and neck. Is there anything that I need to do or will they just run there course? I was going to sell them but I am afraid the warts will hurt the price they would bring. They look pretty bad. Also, are the warts contagious?

One of my cows had a lot of warts on her a couple of months ago, and within a month, they have all disappeared. They were the little grey ones all over her neck and part of her back, but none of the others have caught it, and she is all cleared up. All I did was wait for spring / more sunshine to get here!

There is also a shot that you can give them isn't there? i believe we squeezed the warts and also gave them a shot.

J+

Latest posts