Bad Breath in Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

mhill

Reaction score
I have a cow that I have recently noticed to have very bad breath. It almost smells as bad as when a placenta is retained. I smelled it in the barnyard and traced it to her. She is very friendly. She calved in June and is pregnant again. She has a BCS of 6 and shows no outward sign of illness. Eats well and active. I have never experienced this before. Is this a clinical sign of something or just a bad case of bad breath?

Cows don't generally have the greatest of breath when they're eructating which they do if they're healthy and eating. (and neither would you if you had rumen juice in your mouth!!)

Having said that, if it's even worse than the usual, she could have an abscess in her mouth (tooth etc), tumour or something even more unusual like a stick caught between her top teeth. Have a peek inside her mouth and if all looks well and she's doing fine, give it some time! If you see something, or she does poorly, call your vet!

Good luck!
V

I SAY THAT YOUR CALF HAS GOT SOMETHING IN ITS THROAT AND WAS UNABLE TO SWALLO IT SO ISAY TRY AND GET A SCAN

Latest posts