Bad Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

I was talking abou the year, I killed 2 in March and 3 this nov...I do not know how you do your math to come up with such high numbers..

I own my land,I do not figuer cost of it into anything, because the 60 ac. of grass of the main farm, does cost me 428$ taxes last year...My cows cost me about 150$ per head a year, out of pocket , that it...That includes ivec, shots, minerals, salt, what little grain I use and hay...That is for the cows the calf and heifers are far less.

1500$ killing is for the year 5 head... about 2500 lbs of vacumn packed beef for the year

As a novice I would love you big boy to see my books, but cash is king, it aint in the books...

I got 6 ac around the house I do not cut grass but fenced it, for for about 800$ I can not tell you how much beef this little six ac. of grass can produce, but to hear most on this board, WHAT IT PRODUCED WOULD BE TOUGH, LOW QUALITY,TO EXPENSIVE,TO SMALL, WASTE of TIME, TO EVEN GROW...

I can understand some folks live so far in the stick that that a processer might not be around, no I can not come up with a good reason
why you big cattle people or small do not kill your on beef....

I am done on this trend, SOMETIMES YOU JUST CAN NOT FIX STUPID

Ok, that changes things a lot. Your processing costs are $300 a head NOT $500 a head. And there are 5 calves not 3 calves. That changes the numbers some. Still using the 28-30 month ages you had before. The math is $500 for the feeder calf you COULD have sold at 6 months, $400 for the lost revenue spent fattening a feeder instead of keeping another moma cow. Your grass is an asset that COULD be working for you raising a cow and calf....whether you own 60 acres or 60,000, since your finishing time is 2 years add another $400, add in $300 in processing costs. Add it up ($500+$400+$400+$300) then multiply the total by FIVE calves ($1600 x 5 = $8000). If your normal portion size is 8 ounces and your cost per lb for ribeye steaks is $5.99, then divide $8000 by $5.99. By my new numbers, you and your significant other could have eaten store bought ribeye steaks for roughly the next 1336 days for what you have invested in this project......ie steak every single night till June 27, 2013.

Speaking of bad beef, our local HEB grocery store had USDA SELECT grade boneless top sirloin steaks on special this week for $3.99.

They also have USDA PRIME grade boneless top sirloin steaks in the same ad for $3.77, NOT a special.

I've asked the store manager and several guys in the meat department what the deal is, and they just shrug and say "dunno".

Beef in supermarkets is priced on a scale from 1 to 10...lol.

Locally, we have little grocery store that changed ownership last year. After they did, they started putting probably 80% of their non perishable items in "store brand" (we have a significant low income population here along with some high rollers). As such, they raised their prices significantly on the "best" brands and stuff.

That aside...

They're selling 70 to 80% ground beef as low as $1.49 a lb. Also, some steak cuts in the $2.49 to $5.99 a pound...probably the low end meat, whatever that grade is.

A larger supermarket in next larger town is selling better stuff along with some "grass fed" beef in the higher prices.

"Our" USDA inspected meat we're selling (natural grass fed, no hormones, etc.) is selling for $5.00 a pound for 98% ground, stew meat, chili meat. Sirloin steaks @ $9.50 lb., Boneless ribeye @ $15.00 lb., and Tenderloin for $24.99 lb. We're doing good beginning business with customers in neighboring towns as well as in Western Okla. There ARE customers out there that want "nitch" beef. Just matter of advertising and finding them. We've also recently sold 2 orders and shipped them to customers out of the area. This type of market is SLOW to develop, but has potential. We're keeping our fingers crossed!

Jim62":3g5r6mx9 said:
Speaking of bad beef, our local HEB grocery store had USDA SELECT grade boneless top sirloin steaks on special this week for $3.99.

They also have USDA PRIME grade boneless top sirloin steaks in the same ad for $3.77, NOT a special.

I've asked the store manager and several guys in the meat department what the deal is, and they just shrug and say "dunno".

We have responded to industry demands and much improved our marbling. We are using more Angus bulls and Angus bulls have better marbling EPDs than they did five or ten years ago. As a result the Choice/Select spread has become tiny with Select bringing more on some days.

Well now, I'm a bit late to the party here. I am not a producer of beef on any scale. I hope to be someday, but it is not in the cards for now. What I am is a chef at un up-scale/fine dining steak house. I can tell you without a doubt there is no such thing as bad beef, unless it is green all the way through. What we do have are several grades of beef that are meant for different purposes. I would not personally choose to eat a piece of select grade or lower beef as a steak. That is my option because I can generally afford high choice grade to prime. I am lucky in that respect. There are those who are not so lucky, but they still crave beef for dinner. The lower grades, i.e. select and lower, are offered up in grocery stores and lower price point restaurants for that very reason. It is not bad beef. It is the best some people can afford. I will use this beef for home and commercial use on occassion, but not as steak. It is great for grinding (though I usually add some excess firm chalky fat back in), for carne asada, stew meat, or anything braised. Treated properly all beef is good. If you are accustomed to higher grades of beef don't go to a low end steak house and expect to eat a great steak by your standards. If you have the wherewithall to grow your own beef then enjoy the highest grade you can produce and sell the rest because there are plenty of people out there who need/want it and think it is fantastic. There have been great strides made in processing that allow a select graded animal to be injected with saline and fat to make them eat similar to choice grade. This is the beef you will find at the lower prices in Wal-Mart and most grocery stores. Is it bad beef? NO!!! It is great to those who can't afford something that grades choice or higher naturally. It will be less than satisfactory for those who can afford choice or higher on a regular basis.

When it comes down to it, premiums are placed on higher grades for a reason. All grades are necessary though to keep beef in production. We have made significant improvements in production over the years that have allowed us to eat higher grades at lower prices, but there are always going to be lower grades produced too. If you have the means don't buy the lower grades, unless you know how to cook them. They need more time and attention, but can still make a great meal.

TexasBred":3rjnp3rb said:
farmwriter":3rjnp3rb said:
Good post, pwilli3.

Have to agree whole heartedly with that...and marblings seems to simply try and cover up the screw ups of the cook. :lol:

Now, why would you go and say a thing like that? So, you can cook a select steak that tastes as good as choice? I'm not saying you can't do it but I know I can't do it.

ga, I am not the "best" of cooks period....but I do know that fat and grease will hide a multitude of sins. Like letting it overcook because I'm over there digging in the cooler for my "next one". :lol2:

TexasBred":1x5q97l5 said:
ga, I am not the "best" of cooks period....but I do know that fat and grease will hide a multitude of sins. Like letting it overcook because I'm over there digging in the cooler for my "next one". :lol2:
:D Ok, got it now.

ga. prime":3qd7hchz said:
TexasBred":3qd7hchz said:
:D Ok, got it now.

I agree. I've also found if you dig often enough and with efficient frequency there is absolutely no such thing as bad beef. Nor bad pork for that matter. I learned the latter when cooking some pseudo-pork ribs from a pork belly. :oops: :lol2: