Backgrounding questions

Help Support CattleToday:

I haven't done any for several yrs I had a guy want me to do 200 hd last yr and I refused he was offering 45cents a day per head and he was supplying feed and meds if any died I would have got paid for the days they were here until they died

on 200 head that would have been around $2700 per month

Angus Cowman":249gx5il said:
I haven't done any for several yrs I had a guy want me to do 200 hd last yr and I refused he was offering 45cents a day per head and he was supplying feed and meds if any died I would have got paid for the days they were here until they died

What would have been an amount you would have done it for? I have been offered 50 cents/day. Thanks Angus.

The price wasn't the reason I turned him down I just didn't feel like I would have the time to devote to it because we were haying and I also hadn't shipped my calves yet so the timing was the main reason I declined if it had of been October or January I might have done it

The main thing is get a written contract stating the pay rate, and who pays for vet expenses also the amount of feed that is supposed to be fed pr hd pr day, that way everyone knows what is expected and nobody gets screwed and also collect your money before the calves leave your place
and I don't mean the day they leave I mean a week before pickup date so you know the check clears with these times of uncertainty you need to take care of your self

Angus Cowman":1eym0317 said:
The price wasn't the reason I turned him down I just didn't feel like I would have the time to devote to it because we were haying and I also hadn't shipped my calves yet so the timing was the main reason I declined if it had of been October or January I might have done it

The main thing is get a written contract stating the pay rate, and who pays for vet expenses also the amount of feed that is supposed to be fed pr hd pr day, that way everyone knows what is expected and nobody gets screwed and also collect your money before the calves leave your place
and I don't mean the day they leave I mean a week before pickup date so you know the check clears with these times of uncertainty you need to take care of your self
Time is the worst thing now for me because they would have to be gone in April and that's not enough time to make enough money to pay for the new wire and accessories. if I had Nov. Dec. and Jan. I think it would be ok.

Backgrounding programs typically last 45 to 75 days. I would think you need to consider the recouping of expensenses on the fencing over several years.

Angus Cowman":1qi11qab said:

What would typically be the monthly expenses per month out of that $2700?

BC":1f2eeqyt said:
Backgrounding programs typically last 45 to 75 days. I would think you need to consider the recouping of expensenses on the fencing over several years.
They want these to stay till grass is green as that they are young cows that will have bulls with them and even if we get in a true backgrounding next year we can run multiple groups. I do count the fence over several years its just that I've bought a lot this year and times are tough, I'm out for a while :(

I posted this on the other backgrounding thread as well. My wifes uncle has a contract on 500+ calves at .75 a day per hd. Feedlot trucks and buys meds. He will run them around 100 days.

A lot of variation on input. Hauling water and moving fence or the cattle can require a lot input or very little. All depends on your set up, pasture locations or what ever.

S B Knap":c104bux1 said:
I posted this on the other backgrounding thread as well. My wifes uncle has a contract on 500+ calves at .75 a day per hd. Feedlot trucks and buys meds. He will run them around 100 days.

A lot of variation on input. Hauling water and moving fence or the cattle can require a lot input or very little. All depends on your set up, pasture locations or what ever.
Does he buy hay and feed or do they? Water is not a problem and the fence can go up in late Oct. and stay up till march with some up till April. Will be running in corn stalks with wheat, cotton stalks with wheat and wheat by itself.

cattlepower":1xu9nubr said:
Angus Cowman":1xu9nubr said:

What would typically be the monthly expenses per month out of that $2700?
The main expense is labor and water because where I feed at has a waterer other than that it is a little fuel and grass
they pay all feeds, meds,and minerals and they furnish all trucking , I furnish the water, grass and labor
and it depends on the cattle and the weather but some yrs it can be lot of work Doctoring and keeping them healthy

I have one guy that wants me to start backgrounding a few for him but all of his are weaned and started so they are alot easier than green calves

jedstivers":yti8ma3o said:
Does he buy hay and feed or do they? Water is not a problem and the fence can go up in late Oct. and stay up till march with some up till April. Will be running in corn stalks with wheat, cotton stalks with wheat and wheat by itself.

He baled a field of corn that did not produce enough to pick and has a couple hundred bales from that but wont feed it unless we get ice or snow. He is on just wheat and I dont think the feed lot would buy any hay or feed they are paying you to feed them your grass.

As for green calves that havent been on an electric fence they set up a corral run a wire on the inside and unload the new calves in it. By the morning they wont get with in three feet of the fence.

Latest posts