Backgrounding Light Calves ?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":3tv6uohf said:
BRG":3tv6uohf said:
TexasBred":3tv6uohf said:
I guess it it works for you that's what matters....what's the deal with teh liquid mineral?? Ordinarly it only takes 1 lb. each of concentated vitamins and minerals to meet their needs.

Not sure what you mean, they are getting less than 1 lbs each.

136 lbs fed to 144 head - .94 lbs each

You can buy heavily concentrated granular vitamins and minerals from feedmills which have an inclusion rate of only 1 or 2 lbs. per ton of your feed mix...same for vitamins. These are the ingredients the mill will use for making their bagged mineral. Just takes up less space in the formulation allowing more room for other nutrients and they're really not all that expensive...A good mineral premix will run around $.75 per pound and vitamins around $1.00..maybe a bit less. Might be a bit hard to get a good mix on a small amount tho with that much moisture in the mix.

The minerals in the mixed are formulated off the feed tests from all the ingredients in the ration. My nutritionist took the ingredients and made the recipe for what is needed. It is affordable and works, so I like it so far.

This year I am feeding second cutting meadow grass hay and second cutting alfalfa/grass mix. The unweaned calves I purchased much prefer the straight grass hay - - is this just what they are used to or is there some other reason?

Stocker Steve":25vbdh4o said:
This year I am feeding second cutting meadow grass hay and second cutting alfalfa/grass mix. The unweaned calves I purchased much prefer the straight grass hay - - is this just what they are used to or is there some other reason?
Might be what they're accustomed to eating.

Latest posts