Backgrounding....again.

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
I stated in an earlier thread that I had never had an auction yardman ask me if my calves were backgrounded. Well, it happened. They asked if they were backgrounded, (no), asked if they had implants, (no), asked if they had shots this fall, (no, we vac at branding time and that's all). However, none of this was mentioned when they went through the ring, so I'm still not sure why they were asking. Anyway, calves were heavy, healthy, and sold well. Had some extra good moisture this year and the calves showed it. Well,...back to the fence line.

There is normally some communication between the stockyard personel and the buyers prior to the sell - nothing wrong with it either. Hang around one for a few days and you'll be sure to learn something. They might even put your face with your cattle. This is a good thing for you if you do a good job.

That would make some sense. The auction already knows me and my product to an extent, but the buyers do not. Unfortunately, hanging around for a few days requires time. Getting to be a precious commodity.

Latest posts