Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Help Support CattleToday:

libertygarden

Reaction score
Hello from NE Texas, Delta County.

Does anyone have experience backfilling corner posts or H brace post with gravel, crushed stone and sand like the one used to fill holes or dips? Our clumpy black clay soil doesn't back fill too good. The gravel seems to tighten very well with water.

Thank you in advance.

I've done it here in OH because I read somewhere that it worked well. Never again, all it did was cause me 3x the work. After one winter and every corner needed pulled and reset.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a little reluctant to use concrete because posts tend to rot and break off right at root ball, of course, after several years.

Concrete is the way to go, at least here, if you don't have a driver. A good quality post will last for decades.

libertygarden":1j4aoftj said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a little reluctant to use concrete because posts tend to rot and break off right at root ball, of course, after several years.

It certainly happens, but if you use a good post and bring the pier above grade slightly and trowel it to shed water away from post you can greatly decrease this problem. Mix the concrete a little on the wet side, don't dry set it .

I back fill with concrete mix. Tap the post a few times when I get it situated an pour Some water on top.

I use barn sand quite often , Nothing will work if your hole aint deep enough. need at least 4' in the ground pour dry sand and beat the heII out of the post with a big hammer. pour in more sand and repeat until your hole is filled.

libertygarden":1xj06dak said:

You are right. When that post shrinks a little over time you end up with a little gap between the cement and the post.

Wood posts are made to be put right back in the dirt. Plus when you set a wood post right you can start pulling wires immediately. You don't have to wait the next day for cement to dry.

I have used some dry sand on cedar type posts when the black dirt is wet. I use it mostly in the top half of the hole. As the dirt drys and contracts the sand fills some of the gaps. I go back after a week or so if it dries out good and pack the top some more and add more sand.

callmefence":2jv223cg said:
libertygarden":2jv223cg said:

It certainly happens, but if you use a good post and bring the pier above grade slightly and trowel it to shed water away from post you can greatly decrease this problem. Mix the concrete a little on the wet side, don't dry set it .

Why do you say not to dry set post? That's the only way I do it. Dig a hole put post in and pour a 60lb bag of dry concrete in the hole, them throw some dirt on top and tamp it real good.

pricefarm":ha0jhstt said:
callmefence":ha0jhstt said:
libertygarden":ha0jhstt said:

Why do you say not to dry set post? That's the only way I do it. Dig a hole put post in and pour a 60lb bag of dry concrete in the hole, them throw some dirt on top and tamp it real good.

And there's not really much wrong with that . I dry set sometimes myself. I was referingnto the Op concern of post rot . if your really concerned about post rot , you can get a better seal with a fluid mix. And trowel a sloped cap to shed water.

why use wood post, pipe will hold much better and is pretty cheap right now. There is a guy selling 4.50''' X 8' heavy wall post with the ends already capped for 22.00 a post and they will be there for a long time, when set right.

BRYANT":2f4xlqvu said:
why use wood post, pipe will hold much better and is pretty cheap right now. There is a guy selling 4.50''' X 8' heavy wall post with the ends already capped for 22.00 a post and they will be there for a long time, when set right.

There isn't any available around here and I would say by the time you had it hauled here it wouldn't be worth it. Everyone here uses wood post and metal tpost

BRYANT":1muetk58 said:

Wood posts are convenient. I'm working this fence by myself using posts harvested from ash junipers on my property that will otherwise get cleared in a few months.

pricefarm":2ntrcrpi said:
BRYANT":2ntrcrpi said:

There isn't any available around here and I would say by the time you had it hauled here it wouldn't be worth it. Everyone here uses wood post and metal tpost
I forget that, this is oil country so pipe is easy to get.

As for cutting post I would not waste my time when I have pipe, I have sent a bunch of cedars to the burn pile that would make nice post. Not saying that's how everyone does it or that its right but that's how I do it, but I hate wood post, I am used to pipe.

BRYANT":1snv8jjz said:
pricefarm":1snv8jjz said:
BRYANT":1snv8jjz said:

I forget that, this is oil country so pipe is easy to get.

As for cutting post I would not waste my time when I have pipe, I have sent a bunch of cedars to the burn pile that would make nice post. Not saying that's how everyone does it or that its right but that's how I do it, but I hate wood post, I am used to pipe.

Your not alone Bryant. I can't imagine building a fence on wood post. Its hard to believe there's no pipe in the south east. But Bigfoot says it's so. So I believe it.

It's possible to get pipe anywhere, but it's not nearly as affordable in some places. You really have to look around here to find it, it's not cheap, and it's almost always a long drive. Corner posts here are 99% hedge, locust, or treated.

Latest posts