Back to work

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
I retired 6yrs ago from my job.
I've been real close friends with my then boss.Last week he told me he had to fire my replacement.
This man had an easy job that paid good money.After a while he started goofing off and not doing his job.He would show up for work and then go goofing off the rest of the day.
What I'm not understanding is why anyone would do this.There was no manual labor involved.All he had to do was see that the work was done.(Maintenance supervisor).He had absolutely no one to check his work or tell him what to do.
I guess he couldn't handle being his own boss.
Anyhow to make a long story short I went back to work helping out until someone is hired for this position.What a mess so many things left undone.Even the maintenance personell were so used to doing nothing.May have a complete turn over by the time I get it straightend out. :mad:

Anyhow what with all this ranting what I'm really trying to say is I am too old for this kinda work.Have way less patience than I used to have.
Been taking care of cattle the last 6yrs and with them you accept them being dumb animals.
With people you'd think different.But I've found cattle are a dam sight easier to supervise.
Oh well any how I'm looking forward to retire again. :nod:

Cal

Calman":etz6hb7r said:
I retired 6yrs ago from my job.
I've been real close friends with my then boss.Last week he told me he had to fire my replacement.
This man had an easy job that paid good money.After a while he started goofing off and not doing his job.He would show up for work and then go goofing off the rest of the day.
What I'm not understanding is why anyone would do this.There was no manual labor involved.All he had to do was see that the work was done.(Maintenance supervisor).He had absolutely no one to check his work or tell him what to do.
I guess he couldn't handle being his own boss.
Anyhow to make a long story short I went back to work helping out until someone is hired for this position.What a mess so many things left undone.Even the maintenance personell were so used to doing nothing.May have a complete turn over by the time I get it straightend out. :mad:

Anyhow what with all this ranting what I'm really trying to say is I am too old for this kinda work.Have way less patience than I used to have.
Been taking care of cattle the last 6yrs and with them you accept them being dumb animals.
With people you'd think different.But I've found cattle are a dam sight easier to supervise.
Oh well any how I'm looking forward to retire again. :nod:

Cal

I've seen a few like that in my day, Cal. All gung-ho at first and then once they are pretty well established they start taking things for granted and stop doing their job. It's like they think the job is theirs for life and the world owes it to them just because they exist. They usually end up getting fired just like your replacement did. I guess it all boils down to work ethic. Some have it all their lives, some have it at first and lose it, and some never had it and never will.

I know you want to help your old boss out but don't put too much stress on yourself, Cal. It ain't worth it, especially since you're supposed to be retired.

Thanks Van.
I would not have even considered going back and helping out had we not been best of friends.
I have known him now for 20 years,and have retired and moved on to one of his ranches and running his cattle operation.Which makes for a great retirement.
I've often said you can't become close friends with your boss,but it does not always ring true.
Being friends gave me the tendency to do more and he never failed to show me he appreciated it.
So that's why I'm back helping out. Just hope it don't last too long. :lol:

Cal

Latest posts