Back to weeds

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
Ok I can hit the thistle with round-up, and I can also use Crossbow, but Crossbow kills the clover. Is there anything I can use that will kill just the weeds and not the clover or grass.??????????

lancemart":3w5bgcin said:
Ok I can hit the thistle with round-up, and I can also use Crossbow, but Crossbow kills the clover. Is there anything I can use that will kill just the weeds and not the clover or grass.??????????

Where getting a Thunder Storm right now, first rain in a long time.

Most anything that kills the thistle will also kill the clover. You either have to spot spray or wick.

Ummmmm....lesseee...me thinks that crossbow would still be the choice.... round up still kills EVERYTHING...or almost everything.

Would love to see a good knock off of crossbow like we are seeing in round up these days. :cboy:

Lancemart, with no more ground than you've got to cover, a good sharp hoe is your best bet for thistles.

I tried 24D on them - - an inexpensive spot spray but usually had to spray twice.
I tried cutting them off above ground - - very labor intensive since you usually had to cut them off two or three times.
I tried Curtail (a 24D mix) on them - - an expensive spot spray but usually killed with one application.

How many come back from a hoeing? :?:

Texan has provided you with a great recommendation Lance. No more acres than you have to cover you can get rid of the thistle and not hurt the clover. Just about any herbicide that will kill thistle or any other broadleaf is going to kill the clover.

Stocker Steve":2d1cy98m said:
How many come back from a hoeing? :?:
None, if you cut them below the lowest bud, right below the ground. Now that's assuming that you're talking about the biennial thistles with a taproot and not talking about Canada thistle. I think it will come back from any of the roots.

i have very good luck spot spraying thistles with grazon... i am sure other chemicals will work as well, but that is what i had.

jt

lancemart":39glw6qc said:

I don't know what kind of thistle you are talking about, but if it's Canadian Thistle, you can hit it with 2 ounces of 24D plus 1 ounce of Banville per gallon of water and your thistle is dead regardless of the size!! For smaller Canadian Thistle (not blooming yet), 3 ounces of 2-4D per gallon of water will kill it, as well. Neither Banville nor 2-4D will harm the grass, but I'm not sure about the clover.

Texan":yw0rr0vf said:
Lancemart, with no more ground than you've got to cover, a good sharp hoe is your best bet for thistles.

Again, I don't know what type of thistle you are talking about, but a good sharp hoe will not work for Canadian Thistle. If you don't get the entire tap-root, it simply regrows. I've been battling the stuff this entire summer!

i dont knwo the names for all the different thistles but the tall ones with the little white blooms i just either mow them or chop them as close to the ground with a machete as i can. if they come back (and most have not) i'll do it again just to keep them from seeding. thats the main thing. the short purple ones with the big flowers usually flower first and often i'm not even battling weeds yet. if they are already flowering i'd cut the flowers off and put them in a garbage bag. then i dig up the plant.

i dont knwo the names for all the different thistles but the tall ones with the little white blooms i just either mow them or chop them as close to the ground with a machete as i can. if they come back (and most have not) i'll do it again just to keep them from seeding. thats the main thing. the short purple ones with the big flowers usually flower first and often i'm not even battling weeds yet. if they are already flowering i'd cut the flowers off and put them in a garbage bag. then i dig up the plant. its easiest just to dig them up if you dont have so many that mowing or spraying is absolutely required.

Thank God that our cattle eat the Canadian Thissle right to the ground...now the Montana State flower is another problem, they just won't develop a taste for Knap Weed....
Dave Mc

ALACOWMAN":2ceydgsb said:
your cows will eat thistle :shock: what kind of cows do you run?

Ours eat them too. Got a couple of old girls that will fight over them. Our problem is that they grow and flower before the girls get rotated back to a pasture.

dun

My longhorns eat the blossom off of Canadian Thistle too. They also eas the blossom off of Teasle and it's way bigger and spiny.

I use a product called HI DEP to spray my pastures in the spring, I use 1 quart/acre. Most of my pasture has clover and /or alfalfa seeded with the orchard grass. The most I have ever seen it do to clover/alfalfa is curl it up a little, but it comes out of it in about a week.

Bobg

I used some stuff called Redeem from the local weed control place; just put it in a backpack sprayer and went to work. Kills 'em dead first time, I don't recall having to spray anything twice and you can almost watch them wither before your eyes. We have the canadian thistles here and they'll stand taller than a man if you let them grow and they get water. We have a few underground streams, and you wouldn't believe how they can grow when they have their roots in that underground water.

PS I should have mentioned in my previous post that the 2-4-D I have been using is sold under the name of Platoon. Sorry about that. :oops:

Angus, Herefords and Baldies....love the Canadian Thissle.
We don't cultivate it but have accused our neighbor. They just eat it as they graze through.

Latest posts