Back to the BCS era, who's in?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
A conversation on another board is getting a little interesting. If this was another BCS year, who's in?

Bama, well because they are Bama and it is the SEC.
FSU because they are the only undefeated team left.

Leaves a lot of sour faced 1 loss teams out there. One thing this playoff year did is make it a more interesting season. I hope they tear up the 12 year 4 team playoff contract and move to a 8 team playoff soon..... That way #9 and 10 can whine. :lol:

Lots of truth to that last part--actually, to all of it.

Most people tho, look at things like this thru emotion and a LOT of bias and they pay (paid) little attention to what NCAA said when this system was announced regarding how it would operate and work, and they are still thinking in BCS terms, even tho many complained mightily about BCS when it was the formula. There is a website that still posts what BCS rank would be this year, and many of the people that complained about BCS in the past miraculously seem to have changed their mind about it. Remember Boise State in (I think) 2005-2006?

8 team is perfect. Yes #9 and 10 will whine, but could they realistically win it all, imo, no. But 8 needs to be done because it guaruntees the inclusion of 5 and 6 and .... (dependent on the year.

You could do all power 5 conference champs and 3 at large. Is it the fix all??? No. Is it the best fix?? I believe so

Too many IMO, and would take too long for the college athletic programs' logistics after the regular season, especially for colleges with big basketball programs. 6--maybe. That, would be workable and more inclusive than 4.
With 8, too much liklihood of one conference being overly represented and the same complaining would begin again.

greybeard":17hvs4nj said:
Too many IMO, and would take too long for the college athletic programs' logistics after the regular season, especially for colleges with big basketball programs. 6--maybe. That, would be workable and more inclusive than 4.
With 8, too much liklihood of one conference being overly represented and the same complaining would begin again.

In a due respect GB :tiphat: , do you think the school, president, and AD are going to say, "oh darn, we've got a great basketball team this year and our football team has two playoff games in December too. We don't want that, we don't like money or power." College basketball doesn't even really take off till Jan/Feb anyways.

Every conference would be represented in my formula, with automatic bids for power 5, giving no power conference any excuse that they didn't have a fair fight, their best team was given an opportunity to prove them self.

I can't see having teams 6 working out. How would you determine the champs? I would think it has to be 4 or 8 teams myself.

torogmc81":ymgepv80 said:
greybeard":ymgepv80 said:

In a due respect GB :tiphat: , do you think the school, president, and AD are going to say, "oh darn, we've got a great basketball team this year and our football team has two playoff games in December too. We don't want that, we don't like money or power." College basketball doesn't even really take off till Jan/Feb anyways.

Every conference would be represented in my formula, with automatic bids for power 5, giving no power conference any excuse that they didn't have a fair fight, their best team was given an opportunity to prove them self.

I think they will balance the expense against the cost--not all colleges will be able to afford to increase the season without the $$ coming from another part of the athletic department and the extra revenue from the playoffs in a longer season would cover only a part of it.
Not a problem for a UT or Oregon or Ohio State, but would be for a lot of the smaller schools.
A 6 team elimination would go something like this:
1-2-3-4-5-6

1-6 play -winner of this semi gets a bye while:

2-5 play- winner goes on to play winner of 3-4 game
................................................................[these 2 winners play] winner of this elimination plays winner of 1-6 game.
3-4 play- winner goes on to play winner of 2-5 game

greybeard":38aii655 said:

Here's the thing Greybeard, right now there are no standards set for who gets in other than the four team deamed best according to the committee. Nothing says conference champions are automatically put in and besides that four automatically leaves one conference out. That also eliminates Notre Dame the armed forces teams and the teams in other conferences. If they are going to truly get the best four teams whats to say the four best teams may not come from three or even two conferences. What if Notre Dame is ranked number 1 then two conferences get left out. If they put two teams from the same conference in the conferences getting left out would sure enough get their backs up. I am fully convinced that they left the big 12 out this time because with the co-champions they could blame it on the conference instead of taking the heat themselves. Eight teams with an automatic qualification for all the big five champions and there spots for what ever the committee deams the three best teams no matter what conference they are from or even if they're not in a conference would take care of the whole thing.

How does it eliminate ND, Army and the other conferences? The committee has never said the Big Playoff 4 have to come from the major conferences-ever--just that being conference champion would be "part" of their consideration.

Tho I didn't think so at first, and during most of this season, More and more, I am beginning to believe all the social media talk about a "certain" conference wanting this playoff system to give it special consideration based on it's historical "place in college football" and this same conference is scared to death they might not be able to put more than one (or even 2) in to the playoffs.
Also beginning to think that same conference wants more than one of it's members in to increase the odds that one of it's members will be able to survive the playoff--safety in #s.

Like I said, I can live with the 4 teams that ended up 2014's Top Four and I understand the committee's thinking and also understood it's week to week rankings--they ranked them each week, according to the time frame in question, by answering one or two simple questions--"who is best right now?--If the playoffs were to start this week--who are the best 4 teams? ".

Why not just ask the smaller division schools? They've been making the playoff system work for years. As someone one said on here a while back "It ain't rocket surgery".

I'll add this.
Had the committee selected Baylor, I'd have been po'd about it for the simple reason I think there a several teams outside the current Top 4 that can handily beat Baylor today, last week, and the week before that. I always wanted the absolute best 4 teams in, and Baylor simply wasn't one of them in the last few weeks of the season.
Arizona, GaTech, Mizzu, Ole Miss, Miss St, UCLA, 'maybe' Ga and TCU (IMO) can beat Baylor today. Been a Baylor fan for many years, but this year's team just isn't all that great.

Greybeard, y'all can stop with all the SEC conspiracy stuff. I'm not saying that the SEC should of had another team in the playoff but I am saying that im not sure that Ohio State is a better team than either TCU or Baylor. If either one of these teams had been the clear cut conference champion chances are Ohio State doesn't get in.

I will admit that last night I figured they were going to jump FSU with OSU so they would be in the Sugar Bowl to hopefully draw a bigger crowd to the Rose Bowl with OSU. But I was wrong about that so maybe im wrong about it all.

I honestly can't see how TCU isn't considered a top 4 team. As much trash as I say on here for fun, I think they got shorted. I think the committee didn't do the best job possible.

But, it's better than it was, but their poor judgement can affect recruiting.

They'll never go to an 8 team playoff. The system lives off of controversy- they made a show for it even. 8 team playoff is like showing the JR Ewing getting shot on the first episode of the season, nobody's going to really care after that.

Deepsouth":1koahc9k said:
Greybeard, y'all can stop with all the SEC conspiracy stuff. I'm not saying that the SEC should of had another team in the playoff but I am saying that im not sure that Ohio State is a better team than either TCU or Baylor. If either one of these teams had been the clear cut conference champion chances are Ohio State doesn't get in.

I will admit that last night I figured they were going to jump FSU with OSU so they would be in the Sugar Bowl to hopefully draw a bigger crowd to the Rose Bowl with OSU. But I was wrong about that so maybe im wrong about it all.
(this could get long--bear with me)
I'm unsure of that Ohio State part as well, but only because no one has seen enough of this new Ohio State qb to know if his great game was just a flash in the pan or if he's real. Unsure, in the context of "I just don't know" well enough to make an opinion--but I didn't have to.

This whole TCU/Baylor fiasco falls squarely on Bowlsby, the Big12 chairman. He knew full well that the committee had said they would give Conference Champions consideration--that it was part of the equation. That, can only be taken one way--conf champs will be a + consideration (there's just no way it could ever be seen as a negative) and if you have no conf champ, then that is a defacto negative. Bowlsby said today, he "didn't know that Big12 would be penalized for not having a Conf champ, and wish he had been informed of that fact". ??HUH??
I think Bowlsby and Big12 officials, once they saw the committee move TCU up, actually believed, he could stick to Big12's policy of a tie/co-conf champs and get TWO Big12 teams into the final 4, based on the fact yhat both the Big12 and Committee were going to go with tie breaker. Baylor had beat TCU, but TCU was ranked ahead of Baylor, so Bowlsby probably figured the committee would have no other choice but to shoehorn both Baylor and TCU in. The committee had sent a strong hint that this wasn't going to happen--the jump committee gave to TCU over both Baylor and FSU. The committee was saying "Hey, we think TCU is stronger than FSU and Baylor--we ain't bringing Baylor into the top 4". Big12 still wouldn't decide on a conf champ, Ohio State put on a good win and Committee said "Ok--screw Big12--they want to stick with Baylor/TCU co champs--let them both slide down". I hate it for TCU, but Brumbsy knew all along not having a designated or outright conf champ was not going to be a good thing. Since Committee had also previously said they would honor the tiebreaker rule Big12 has, Bowlsby should have hastily held a Big12 meeting and eliminated that tiebreaker/conf co-champ thing and just choose a conf champ. They had the authority to do that, but not the guts to do it.

The other part is, that Big12, at some point, had already petitioned NCAA to have the rule relaxed about needing 12 teams for a playoff game--I'm pretty sure it happened earlier this year. NCAA is made up of members from all conferencs--I don't blame them for not relaxing the rule this year, especially if the request came after Baylor had beaten TCU and TCU had begun to pull away as the better of the 2 teams.

Been a good season and a lot of fun discussions. I looked back at last year's CT discussions, and they were good, but nothing like this years, so I think the current format has done a good thing in stirring up more interest in college football.
It will be a good championship playoff--gonna get interesting in a few weeks...
Going to be some pretty good bowl game outside the top 4 too.

Texas/Ark in the Texas Bowl--shades of the old SWC.
#9 Ole Miss/#6 TCU in the Peach Bowl--one of the better matchups IMO.
#8 Mich St/ #5 Baylor in Cotton Bowl--I haven't looked at Mich St at all, but will be watching to see if Baylor is better than I think they are.
Kansas St/UCLA in the Alamo Bowl--should be a really hard fought contest.

In a Sports Illustrated interview today, Big12 comish Bowelsby said 2 interesting things.
1. Big12 would not expand to 12 teams unless reasons other than having a conference championship game became visible. (IOW, if that's the only reason--they won't do it)
2. Said if he had been on the Committee, he would have voted for TCU to go to the dance instead of Baylor. ( Huh? sounds like damage control and a lot of CYA crawfishing to me)

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014 ... owlsby-tcu

greybeard":2mi420bm said:
In a Sports Illustrated interview today, Big12 comish Bowelsby said 2 interesting things.
1. Big12 would not expand to 12 teams unless reasons other than having a conference championship game became visible. (IOW, if that's the only reason--they won't do it)
2. Said if he had been on the Committee, he would have voted for TCU to go to the dance instead of Baylor. ( H9uh? sounds like damage control and a lot of CYA crawfishing to me)

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014 ... owlsby-tcu

What two teams would want to join the Big 12?

While I'm not GB and don't play him on TV, here's my :2cents: one the big 12 adding two teams. There are plenty of teams they can woo but the teams need to be willing to join, the biggest eat hurdle is being able to be competitive at multiple sports. While Boise St is very competitive in football they haven't done much in basketball or other sports to stand much of the chance in the Big 12. But many teams to choose from, Utah St and Wyoming are two that come to my mind. Many mistakes made by the big 12 lately, should have had a tie breaker and should never have let Nebraska and Colorado slip away.

The big problem is W Va. Too far East and that eats up $$ resources. They need and want someone in between the center of the country and the eat coast to help travel even out.

The expansion,is all about $$.

You don't "have" to be active in all sports Alan. ND for instance, is an independent, but for football purposes, is in some way, aligned with ACC.
For any team to chnge conference, it can get expensive. Maryland for instance, changed conferences, and got their "move" penalty negotiated down from $52 million to $31 million--still, a big chunk of $$.
This article partly explains the entanglement Big12 is in, and the contract runs til 2024-2025 season.
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... emphis-byu

Latest posts