Back to AI

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
It's been several years since we used AI. Now when the cows number is close to the one we want and have separated the bull from the girls, decided that needs to bring some fresh blood to the herd. Some heifers and cows were already AI'ed, some should be in a month time, and some haven't calved yet.

Two heifers are incalf to this bull. Bull's BW is 75lbs, heifers were ~88-90lbs at birth. Our neighbour has three heifers sired by this bull. All are very good looking, long round shaped, very good growing girls.
fsth_thumb.phpjhghg.jpg

One heifer is incalf to this bull. Bull's BW 77lbs. Heifer was born at ~90-94lbs. Another heifer is on her 1st term after AI today and she seems okay, so fingers crossed. That heifer has 92.5lbs BW.
fsth_thumb.php.jpg

Two heifers and one 1st calver were AI'ed with a Limo bull, because an Angus bull the vet had at that time isn't holding very well. This bull has 99lbs BW. He has a very good French genetics.
fsth_thumb.phpbol.jpg
The bull.
Uranos_Mature.74164049_std.jpg
The sire, Ryde Uranos.
nenuphar-1473780461.jpg
Dam's sire, Nenuphar.

Two Charx 4th calvers were AI'ed with BB bull. Both easy calvers. There will be a couple more cows for this bull.
Sorcier.jpg

One 1st calver was AI'd to INRA95 easy calving bull this week. There are some more cows for him too.
01inra95ulrich-grand_visuel.jpg

There are two bulls which haven't been used yet. Our vet should order, if not ordered yet, some straws of these two. One is Piedmontese, BW 86lbs twin. Another is Blonde d'Aquitaine bull. In photo he's ~1 year old. I very like his sire's look and how his daughters look.
f35.jpg

omega_204289_ouragan_ba.jpg

01blondedaquitaineouragan-grand_visuel.jpg
The sire.
02blondedaquitaineouragan-grand_visuel.jpg
Sire's daughter.

frieghttrain":23h6f9va said:
Quite the mixed bag there! What breed is the 2nd bull? I hope you don't have calving issues with that BB bull :shock:
Both first bulls are Red Angus.
Want to reduce Limousine blood in the herd and at the same time to try some breeds which we've never used before. :)
Yes, hopefully no calving issues. Earlier we used BB only on dairy cows. This time will try on beefx. Choosing only big, mature, very easy calving cows. There will be two more cows for that BB bull. Both are Limox 5th calf cows. Our vet had some straws of 77lbs BW BB bull, but unfortunately no more in stock.
Only RA and INRA bulls are easy calving, others are average and more suitable for cows, especially BB and Blonde bulls.

Oh, and if will be able to get some straws of Parthenaise bull, will use him on some young heifers this summer. :D He's easy calving, BW 88lbs.
Screenshot_from_2018-02-17_19-14-13.png
Photo as yearling.
Screenshot_from_2018-02-17_19-15-49.png
Photo of the sire.

Holy smokes talk about variety! What's the matter with limousin? Are you just sampling other breeds to get a feel for what works best? Gotta say that parthenaise bulls sire has poor feet.

frieghttrain":1ktta3cv said:
Holy smokes talk about variety! What's the matter with limousin? Are you just sampling other breeds to get a feel for what works best? Gotta say that parthenaise bulls sire has poor feet.
We won't be able to make our cattle purebred no matter how many generations will pass, so no need to use only one breed. Also using only one breed we loose heterosis bit by bit. Already have several 7/8Limo heifers/cows calving with Limox calves.
Yes, we like to try new things. I always was interested in these breeds, so why not try some. It'll be interesting if we'll like those crosses. There is the possibility to import a bull of almost every of these breeds, so better try the cheaper way first with AI'ing some and seeing if we like it, before actually buying a bull. Maybe even will buy some purebred heifers if we'll really like a certain breed.
Plus our recent Limousine bull won't bring that much of muscle, so it will be just better to have some calves by other more muscled bulls. Also we have almost sold all our BBx cows (the last one is 10yo, and should be culled this year), and I personally very like cows with atleast abit of BB in them.
I had plans to use these breeds for several years now, and now when there is a possibility, why not.

Parth bull's sire is very good for crossbreeding, so hopefully the son will be good too. Will use him (if will get some straws) on Limox, with some Char, Angus heifers. All from good mothers, from strong healthy long living lines, so will see. Will always be able to cull the ones, which will look odd. Only had one cow with rear legs problems before. She was BBxdairy, bone structure just like BB, and went weak on her legs at ~9years age.

You only live once might as well try something you've always wanted to! Funny how different our markets are, ours is all about grade, and it seems yours is more yield. I hope they all work for you :)

Thank you. :) I hope we'll get some good heifers. I kinda want more colours in the herd.
Yeah, our market needs more meat, better expressed muscles and a medium fat. The ones who buy heifers, don't want BB and Piedmontese cross cattle, however there is another buyer from another country (Italy), who gives you better price for double muscled weanlings. The more muscled they are, the higher price. Have several places where we can sell weanlings or finished cattle, so there are no problem to sell any type of animal, as long as it is a good quality one.

Supa Dexta":1jj01sii said:
And we get docked for pronounced muscling.

Ryde uranos... That's an interesting name.
Yeah, the standarts are different everywhere. Here, in Europe, in most countries, factories want more muscled breeds. Like I said before, there is one buyer from Swirtzeland, which don't need any BB, Blonde, Piedmontese, but they still pay better money for more muscled animals...

AI'ed the first cow with Piedmontese yesterday.
DSCF3086.jpg
That's her. She's 3rd calver, has some Angus, Charolais and BB from beef breeds.

9 more cows are in synchronisation process at the moment. One will be for BB bull, two for Blonde, one for INRA, three for Piedmontese and two for Charolais. My mom likes Charolais breed alot and our vet has a couple straws of a very nice young bull.
https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Stor ... LOOKOUT-ET The Charolais bull.

Edit: Found BW of the Blonde bull. 112.4lbs.
After two weeks will preg check heifers and two cows. Hoping for good results.

frieghttrain":1dgnmo8w said:
You know how that works... you should be hoping to get a bull then you'll get a heifer
Yeah, that often happens. But a miracle can happen too. :) Yesterday just had a heifer from the top cow, despite that this season almost all calves are bulls. Well, to be fair all calves born in 2018 were bulls until yesterday...

Six cows have been AI'ed today. Two with blonde (Angusxbbxdairy and Angus,Char,Limo mix cows), two with piedmontese (7/8Limo first calver and limoxdairy cow), one with belgian blue (LimoxCharxdairy cow) and one with charolais (AngusxSalersxdairy cow).
The vet couldn't find the last straw of the Charolais bull, but he had two straws of the one Char bull, we used many years ago, so used that one. He was very easy calved, our BBxdairy cow calved without problems, good growth and milky daughters. Have one his daughter and she's a very big milky cow.

Unfortunately, won't be able to get any Parthenaise straws for heifers, so had to think of something else. Going to use an easy calved Blonde bull. His birth weight was 90lbs. Will have 8 heifers for AI this summer. Five will get Blonde, two the Piedmontese and one will get our many years ago used AngusxSalers bull.
The blonde bull:
fsth_thumb.php.jpg

My latest post has disappeared, so will do a small update.
So far 8 calves on the ground:
Four sired by Red Angus, all out of heifers and all born unassisted, would guess ~70-85lbs BWs.
Two calves by Belgian blue bull, both born unassisted out of 7years old Charx cows, ~110lbs.
Two Limousinex calves out of heifers. One has been assisted as it took too long for heifer to make a progress, 110-112lbs.

Now wait for the next calves in he January. Will probably have 7 calves then: 3Charolaisx, 2 Piedmontesex, one INRA95x and one BBx. All due from the 14th until the 31st of the January. Then there is one Blondex due on the 7th of February. In March there will be a couple calves from cows and heifers will start calving with Blondex and Angusx calves. In total there still should be 20+ calves from AI until summer.

Going to use AI for the second round too. Have some straws left of both Blonde bulls, Piedmontese and have ordered more of the Charolais bull. Going to add Simmental this time to the variety, will use different BB bull, and going to choose something for the heifers.

The Simmental bull. Already used on one Charx cow, which had BBx heifer in September.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/jSeAFtqhytk[/youtube]
http://www.netbbg.com/netbbg.site/index.php/bull/immense-de-herock/ BB bull which have used on another Charx cow, which had BBx calf in September too.

At the moment choosing what kind of limousine bull to use. One doesn't have any photo shown of him, so I'm quite hesitant about him. Other two:
http://www.evolution-int.com/en/bull/34/FR1934109355/alt This one should be very easy calving, but also puts a nice shape on his calves.
http://www.evolution-int.com/en/bul...o8YzLWvAzwwu1UNq_Eb13Pr7wJzY5lJ_jvwS7uFAnDaQA Quite easy calving too. Also has very good old French genetics, famous for producing good females.

lithuanian farmer said:
Just AI'ed one cow with Charolais.
4th calver. Had a white heifer from a limo bull, so expect a white calf. Preferably a heifer. :)
/quote]

don't know why but I am not seeing your pictures

just get a graphic that suggest there is an image.

then got this message as I tried to respond

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct

Boy, I wish I had the diverse market here that you have as I like some of those DM breeds. I think the BB are a bit more than I would want, but I liked that "lookout" young char bull picture and like both the limi bulls. If it's not black here, you can just about "can it" because you are going to take a hit. I want more butt on my calves instead of these straight slab sided ones that are becoming the norm.
Even silver up in BC has some real nice heifers and not a black on in the last posted pictures.

frieghttrain":2j3zs44b said:
All the choices to make! Hardest part is waiting the nine months!
Oh yes, that's so true! But it still has passed quite quickly for me. Just doing everyday works and you see that it's already time to count the last days until the new calves. That's the most exciting part!

Latest posts