Back scratcher or solutions?

Help Support CattleToday:

I always attribute stubby tails to dogs/coyotes. maybe I should be checking the brush more. :ROFLMAO:
From a distance I couldn't tell WTH it was; looked like something got scalped or a dead, hanging squirrel. Feel kind of bad, but I couldn't stop laughing when I realized it was her tail.

My grandpa had a dairy cow that hit him in the head with her tail as he milked her, so he tied it to a post. It worked for a little while, and then she had a whip to hit him with. That was even worse.

So, trees as back scratchers come with their own hazards. Few weeks ago, I noticed one of my cows had a stumpy, bloody tail. Figured another cow was probably standing on it when she got up & ripped it off, I treated accordingly.

Well I'll be darned, I found her tail this morning. Evidently, she was scratching her butt or back and ripped it plum off on a limb. Maybe I can glue or sew it back on for aesthetic purposes and to help with flies:unsure:. Bless her heart, she sticks out like a sore thumb with her rat tail & baboon butt.
View attachment 13945
View attachment 13946
That's not much of a tree to pull her tail out TC. Would have been touch and go whether the tail or the tree came out.

Ken

That's not much of a tree to pull her tail out TC. Would have been touch and go whether the tail or the tree came out.

Ken
Exactly! It's not a big tree at all and she's a wide load. But I removed the tail this evening and it was wrapped around multiple times. How that happened, I have no idea, but I'm amazed she didn't uproot it.

A complete different idea........ if you have old busted machinery hanging around, like for example an old haybine....... pull it in to your cows, take the wheels and hydraulic lines off and voila. They love that long swingarm and all the edges and corners. Once you take the tires off and park the hitch part of the arm on the ground...... you have a perfect back scratcher as they can walk under the swing arm and rub their hearts out.
Old machinery in general is great.

Latest posts