Back Rub for Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Bamadan

Reaction score
What do you use on back rubs (other than a fly and or lice treatment). For example: a farmer had told me he mixes his treatment with Mineral Oil (bout $20 a gallon). Not trying to be cheap, but if something else is just as good, I'd be interested.
Would like to hear ideas from others, anything, if you believe it works...Thanks

same here.
One year, I mixed 50:50 diesel/hyd oil with the pesticide and it seemed to work better than just diesel--stayed on their backs better but someone told me it probably irritated their skin more too.
I'm glad diesel is cheap this year.

Seems like a recall from somewhere that Brahman influenced cattle are negatively affected by diesel.

Never used a back rub. Do the cattle figure out that it helps with flys and want to use it?
Or do you have to create a pinch point they will use?

kentuckyguy":1jggpo1p said:
Never used a back rub. Do the cattle figure out that it helps with flys and want to use it?
Or do you have to create a pinch point they will use?
I make it where mine have to use it to get to another lot,water mineral etc. if I just hang it up mine will walk around it every time.

Bamadan":3aaxba7f said:
What do you use on back rubs (other than a fly and or lice treatment). For example: a farmer had told me he mixes his treatment with Mineral Oil (bout $20 a gallon). Not trying to be cheap, but if something else is just as good, I'd be interested.
Would like to hear ideas from others, anything, if you believe it works...Thanks

I quit the rubs years ago with the advent of Cylence or Ultra Saber .
Actual long term fly control.

Growing up, dad used to get crude from the gas well and soak pieces of old carpet draped over a cable hung between two trees. We hust hung them in random places the cows liked to loaf. They knew what they were and loved walking under them. These days my cows almost need to be forced under them. Thats why I used UltraBoss now.

I'm just a newbie and was looking for a way to get the flys off my heifers without having to get the in a chute.

Walk through them with a pump up sprayer, if they will tolerate that. A little feed poured out makes for a good distraction. I can get most of mine like that, but I've also added a backrubber that they have to walk under if they want mineral and water out of the ball water.

I'm a little hesitant to use diesel. I seem to remember cows back being burned by the diesel fuel or used motor oil my grandpa used to use in his?

Never used back rub. I treat in the pasture with UltraBoss about every 20 days.

3 mL per 100 lbs up to 30 mL. So I take the bottle, pour out some in a container and fill a needleless syringe to 30 mL. I can walk up to their side and squirt it down their back.

I have treated twice this spring. Getting the best results I have every gotten.

[ ]
Bright Raven":39n4ushb said:

3 mL per 100 lbs up to 30 mL. So I take the bottle, pour out some in a container and fill a needleless syringe to 30 mL. I can walk up to their side and squirt it down their back.

98901dustingbrush.jpg

Tell the truth !!! this is what you use to keep the flies off. If one lites on her back you just brush it off gently

M-5":2ufsxyqd said:
[ ]
Bright Raven":2ufsxyqd said:

98901dustingbrush.jpg

Tell the truth !!! this is what you use to keep the flies off. If one lites on her back you just brush it off gently
:D. How did you know?

Latest posts