Back Pasture Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I got the sixteen bred cows on the back 30. Each one AI bred to calve Sept/October 2017.

I rough clipped them yesterday, and poured them with Ultra Boss. Calves were pulled off last week via fenceline weaning. Their body condition scores are high now, but grass back there is nothing as good as it has been in previous springs.

2ni4oee.jpg

idvm8x.jpg

ru5h6o.jpg

2druc15.jpg

I have two of the barrel mineral feeders out back there and an oaken trough feeder covered with a tin roof on skids. I use Vitafirm Conceptaid. So they have 3 stations where they can lick. At each station, I also put out white salt blocks. I was having trouble keeping the lower strap on the barrel until I slotted the barrel. I know what you are thinking. The cows will rub on these and tear them off the tree. It hasn't happened and this is my second year using the barrels. I do put up those 2x6 boards to add support.

2i0x2tc.jpg

I always enjoy when you post pictures.

I talked the Vitaferm guy this week on the phone for about 30 minutes. It kinda sounds high in a way, but probably only breaks down to an extra $30 per cow. That's cheap, if my cows aren't getting what they need.

I did my mineral feeders the same way for year. I think the foot traffic is what did it, but I killed every tree I ever strapped one to. I still think about going back to that way though.

Bigfoot":2pwwx81z said:
I always enjoy when you post pictures.

I talked the Vitaferm guy this week on the phone for about 30 minutes. It kinda sounds high in a way, but probably only breaks down to an extra $30 per cow. That's cheap, if my cows aren't getting what they need.

I did my mineral feeders the same way for year. I think the foot traffic is what did it, but I killed every tree I ever strapped one to. I still think about going back to that way though.

Thanks. I like natural cattle pictures. I was very happy today watching my cows all in a line walking that path. It amazes me how mankind has domesticated cows, horses, dogs, cats, chickens, pigs, etc. It thrills me to manage the lives of these big animals. I don't think there is much I would rather do at this point in my life.

Pretty Place and the Cows look Good, Ron. Needing a new Mineral Feeder, I might just hillbilly one up as well :) . Having a hard time finding the one I like. Most of the low profile bull mineral feeders our cows keep finding ways to take the clip off.

FlyingLSimmentals":38dqhzc5 said:
Pretty Place and the Cows look Good, Ron. Needing a new Mineral Feeder, I might just hillbilly one up as well :) . Having a hard time finding the one I like. Most of the low profile bull mineral feeders our cows keep finding ways to take the clip off.

Same barrel with about 120 pounds of concrete in it works good to. Hadn't had one turned over yet.

Probably cost someone quite a bit of time/money to get/keep it looking like that, but I swear there is not much prettier than a nice woods pasture like that. Good job.

Around here there would be more limbs/stumps than you could pick up or clean out, or at least than I'm willing to take care of.

TennesseeTuxedo":17jsmifg said:
I'm glad that's your back 30 if you're going to distribute minerals in such a fashion.

TT. I got this too. I put the barrels out to provide some mineral when the cows are lounging in the trees. Kinda of a "fast food concept".

Here is my mineral feeder. I hauled that fro Monet Missouri, Main Street Feeds. Made of OAK. Built like a battle ship. $250 bucks. I am going to get another one when I go back out.

xnc5r7.jpg

Bright Raven":1wwu27x5 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1wwu27x5 said:
I'm glad that's your back 30 if you're going to distribute minerals in such a fashion.

TT. I got this too. I put the barrels out to provide some mineral when the cows are lounging in the trees. Kinda of a "fast food concept".

Here is my mineral feeder. I hauled that fro Monet Missouri, Main Street Feeds. Made of OAK. Built like a battle ship. $250 bucks. I am going to get another one when I go back out.

xnc5r7.jpg

Think you might want to bring me one? Not the blue barrel, the oak feeder.

Do you have any problem with the fixed-in-place barrels collecting rainwater?
I hang mine so the opening is at an angle and they rarely get any rain in them, but when I had them sat down and stored last winter, they all filled up with rain.

I've seen trees killed by mineral that the cows dropped on the ground over time. Salt content I suspect.

Like greybeard, I used to hang mine and hung them with a cant toward the opening and out of the prevailing winds direction. that worked pretty well for us for several years...

TT: If you want a feeder, I can bring you one back in the trailer when I take my bulls out to Fire Sweep.

GB: I don't have problems with the rain. I have them with their back toward where we get most of our weather - SW to NW.

Regarding trees. I could stand to lose a few. The white salt blocks are also an issue if not more so than the Vitaferm. Vitaferm has most of the minerals in a salt but probably not as bad as NaCl salt.

Bright Raven":332hqyh2 said:
I got the sixteen bred cows on the back 30. Each one AI bred to calve Sept/October 2017.

I rough clipped them yesterday, and poured them with Ultra Boss. Calves were pulled off last week via fenceline weaning. Their body condition scores are high now, but grass back there is nothing as good as it has been in previous springs.

2ni4oee.jpg

idvm8x.jpg

ru5h6o.jpg

2druc15.jpg
I see these feeders for sale locally for $75 mounted upright in a tire for more portable redneckery. May have to start building a few to supplement my income :D

Ron, great pictures. Cattle look really good. I used to use the 50 gal drum, but I had it hanging from a limb on the trees. Of course, I didn't really see any limbs to hang off. Doesn't seem to hurt the tree. Love that oak feeder.

Latest posts