Back Leg Locks Up

Help Support CattleToday:

Dan

Reaction score
I have a Santa cow 2.5 years old. When she is a little stressed her back leg locks up. Thought it was a one off however have just seen another with the same problem and they are not related. Any ideas if it is hereditory or should they both go down the road?

Does the leg lock up just above the hock? If so, it is a stiffle problem. Conformation,stress, and the leighth of toe in the hoof will cause it.

Does it "lock up" when she's bringing the leg forward? Do you hear a popping noise? I had a Brahman with this problem.. took her to A & M and they did minor surgery.. cut the tendon running from the stiffle. Took her home after four days, took the stitches (2 of them) out after 2 weeks and she's been fine ever since. (Four years ago) It's paritially hereditary, and also is more prevelant in cattle that have had their feet trimmed. This cow had been shown, and had had her feet trimmed regularly.

Is she far along bred? We have a couple that apparently get pressure on a nerve during the last few weeks of pregnancy. When they first get up from laying down one of the back legs is stiff but loosens up after a few steps.

Yes it locks up just above the hock. Many thanks for your feedback I have the vet coming out this week to try cutting the tendon as you suggested.

[
Does it "lock up" when she's bringing the leg forward? Do you hear a popping noise? I had a Brahman with this problem.. took her to A & M and they did minor surgery.. cut the tendon running from the stiffle. Took her home after four days, took the stitches (2 of them) out after 2 weeks and she's been fine ever since. (Four years ago) It's paritially hereditary, and also is more prevelant in cattle that have had their feet trimmed. This cow had been shown, and had had her feet trimmed regularly

Had the same thing happen with a bull and almost every calf he threw had the same problem.

I've been lucky then.. I've got females out of the cow that have never had a problem. The cow is eight years old.

Latest posts