Back Home Again

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Well, turns out that keeping up with these forums is a bit more difficult than I thought. I think it was mostly just the week though. Had my first Chemo treatment, and that went well, except for the headache I ended up with, ended up in the ER with this. Then I also had a minor surgery, and that just wiped me out. Anasthetics just completely knock me out, even the mild ones. I am feeling pretty good though, they figured out what drug probably caused the headache, and I don't need to take that unless I'm feeling really sick. And fortunately I am not feeling sick, I am still eating pretty much what I want.

As for home, we have had 9 calves born. 2 dead, one for reasons unknown, and another to White Muscle Disease. Had 2 with that so far, and can't figure out what is going on. They've had mineral all winter, so maybe just a couple that weren't eating it?? The other calves look really good, considering most of them weren't due til Mar 6 and 8. One 6 days early that weighed 130 lbs, now, that one was well cooked, she always has big calves, but this one was truly enormous. She had him by herself anyways. The others have all been small to average sized. We've adopted a calf on to one of the mama's who lost her calf, and if we can find another baby we will do the same for the other cow.

Hopefully I will get some photos tomorrow, so you all can see the babies. I get to stay home til Monday morning, then it is off for the week again.....

Good to hear from you Randiliana, hopefully your chemo goes well, and your calving gets better!

take care of yourself

Vickie

Glad you'll be enjoying the weekend at home with the cows. Sounds like you're doing pretty well. Keep it up!

Glad to hear from you and I certainly hope the best for you.
Take care of yourself and keep us informed.

Cal

Truly great to hear from you and that things are going well with your treatments. :D

As for the cattle, you are at 20% death loss, you can't bear that if it continues.
Is it an unusual muddy mess there?
And a LOT of low Q hay was made last year
If it is WMD then your feed was lacking more than the supps could make up for, if it isn't then I suspect some bacterials that you normally don't have a problem with.

Does hubby know how to post in here or the kinda weight your handle carries in here? I'd take the time to help as much as I can if your calving fatalities continue while your are busy kicking the crap out of the Big C.

Thanks, guys!! It is truly great to hear from all of you!

ALX, not too terribly worried about the death loss right now. It sucks, but then trouble usually happens at the start. Our feed was actually put up in pretty good condition last year, so who knows. And, now that we have had these couple problems, we know what to watch for and will stay on top of it. The melt is just starting here now, and we've lots of dry ground for them to be on even once it really gets to melting. Interestingly, both the cows who had the WMD calves are 3 year olds, and were in pastures last summer that 'don't have selenium issues'. One was in the community pasture.

DH isn't much into this tech stuff. So I doubt you'll ever see him on here. He has no interest in the computer beyond poker and checking out the local classifieds. Sad, but true. I'll definitely mention to him that he might want to come on here though.....

glad to hear your able to take the tretments without to much probs.seeing those new calves will make you feel better.

Glad to hear your treatment is going fine, sorry to hear about the calves and hope all gets figured out with them for the next round, take care, and good luck for Monday....Chris.

Latest posts