Back hoe

Help Support CattleToday:

Actually, no. I am an engineer.

I've owned one for years. Quarried thousands of tons of limestone. Rode it for several thousand hours. Got a Cat and a loader too.

Do you have a specific question about a hoe?

Bought an old one years ago for the farm and have done lots of work with it. So let's say I'm putting in a line from one solid point to another, like from one wall to another or fence to fence. Right now I start from one end and when I get closer to the other, start over from that end. Then I have to join the two trenches which in my case, I do from the side. Of course this just makes a "hole" rather than a trench. It works, I just think I'm making an unnecessary mess and their has to be a better technique. Any tips here?

Train":w74d9q3b said:
Bought an old one years ago for the farm and have done lots of work with it. So let's say I'm putting in a line from one solid point to another, like from one wall to another or fence to fence. Right now I start from one end and when I get closer to the other, start over from that end. Then I have to join the two trenches which in my case, I do from the side. Of course this just makes a "hole" rather than a trench. It works, I just think I'm making an unnecessary mess and their has to be a better technique. Any tips here?
why are you pulling off of your 2nd ditch and sitting to the side??
just keep going til your ditches join and you are straddling your first ditch then set yourself off of the ditch

we straddle and crawl across ditches and other objects all the time it isn't any big deal

Its pretty much what I do too. Pick up the outriggers about a foot, curl up the back bucket and drop it in the trench a few feet behind the rear wheels. Pick up the rear end and set it across with the back bucket. Keep the front bucket down and sled the front end across with the hoe in reverse.

Okay so first off, you have to trust the integrity of the trench walls. Now when you're swinging the rear over are the front wheels pivoting or is the weight sitting on the bucket?

Train":1kq6bbnp said:
Okay so first off, you have to trust the integrity of the trench walls. Now when you're swinging the rear over are the front wheels pivoting or is the weight sitting on the bucket?

No you have to trust your outriggers and if ya fall you will stop when ya hit the bottom

When swinging it just depends on the situation if your front bucket is up or down I do it both ways depending on the situation just don't pull yourself backwards as you are swinging and you wont fall in the ditch
if the soil is loose and you leave the bucket down you will pull your banks in

best thing you can do is practice turning the hoe completely around 360degrees with just the back end then you will figure out the balance points on it

Easy enough to practice on flat ground I guess. Or even scrape out a few inches for a trench. Problem here is the soil can be solid clay then turn to sand in just a few more feet. That and in this area the ditches for water lines have to be pretty deep.

Train":1m3bf7bt said:
Easy enough to practice on flat ground I guess. Or even scrape out a few inches for a trench. Problem here is the soil can be solid clay then turn to sand in just a few more feet. That and in this area the ditches for water lines have to be pretty deep.
what area are you from??

depth don't matter much have set across 10 and 12 ft ditches alot of times in soils from Black dirt to shot rock to sand to solid clay

shot rock is about the worst to set over as usually the rock is fragmented and a good ways past the ditch and wants to slide real bad

main thing is just to know your machines limitations and its balance points
takes a he77 of alot to lay one over to where you can't get it set back up on its own
have had them in some pretty bad places and have always got the job done and got the machine back out on its own

probably one of the trickiest was cleaning a hole for a lift station out and all I had on the ground was the front bucket had the outriggers sitting in the front buckets of 2 more machines it had caved in after a rain and I had already moved the excavator to another job

Practice is worth a lot. The guy that runs my hoe worked for Herzog for a year and climbed them on top of box cars to unload ballast on the railroad. He's been helping me for about 25 years and there seems to be nothing he can't make a hoe do. We have a 310 JD, so I know that a good how makes a difference.
If you dig a 5' deep trench, corss it like Brad says, and a little caves in, shovel it out. If a lot caves in, you ain't lost anything, cuz' you gotta dig it out sideways anyhow. gs

Fall of the high wall a few times when the banks collapse beneath the outriggers. You'll learn a lot - the hard way.

No one showed me. After I got the hoe I started paying more attention to those who operated them. Learned many things the hard way. Almost laid it over once. When I figured out it wasn't going to go over after that incident, I gained a little confidence in the equipment.

As with anything, you can always get yourself hurt. Or worse.

Yup, it's the getting hurt or worse part that concerns me. I tend to be a pretty careful kind of guy. The ten foot tall and bulletproof attitude faded about 15 years ago.

Latest posts