77calf21.jpg

77pair.jpg

Red Angus sired heifer calf. 90 lbs
04calf2.jpg

04calf.jpg

Red Angus sired heifer calf with our 2 week old Preemie calf
2calves2.jpg

2calves1.jpg

This one is a bit older. Hereford sired heifer calf. Born in Nov.
99calf.jpg

Would I wanna mess with that baby with mama standing there with that "I'll whip your butt" look on her face? Nooooooooo!

I see the picture of the little premie with the newborn...that is the premie, isn't it? What a cute picture that one is :)

They're all great!

Alice

Gate Opener":1ghj05qk said:
Cuties.

With mama around, how do you get weights and ear tags on those babies?

First off, most of our cows, we can handle the calf in front of them. Even that #77 cow (in the picture) isn't as bad as she looks. She would back off if you smacked her on the nose with a stick. I wouldn't want to get too carried away in front of her, but she isn't too bad. But, to be on the safe side, we separate them as they go by the barn. The cow is put on the other side of a gate, and then we don't have to worry about it at all. They will wait and bawl for the calf until we are done with it.

evaught":3svhgyyb said:
how early was the preemie and how much did it weigh? I had one last year that was a month early and only weighed 15 pounds

He weighed 46 lbs, and I figured he was a month early. But, he would have weighed probably 80 lbs full term.

~

Calving season is better than Christmas.

A "present" every day.

And sometimes its like Easter, when you have to go "find" them.

Thanks for the photos.

Nice calves and I don't see a thing wrong with the pictures either. Seems like some people would rather try to pick apart something than to eat. Guess I'll never get used to folks like that. We're having a load of babies born too. Four new Longhorns born Saturday, two heifers and two bulls, got alot more on the way.

Rustler9":2zi52rr8 said:
Nice calves and I don't see a thing wrong with the pictures either. Seems like some people would rather try to pick apart something than to eat. Guess I'll never get used to folks like that. We're having a load of babies born too. Four new Longhorns born Saturday, two heifers and two bulls, got alot more on the way.

I figure once we get a few more calves on the ground I will be able to get some pretty good pics. Don't particularily care if someone isn't happy with "how good" they are. They are only baby pics, and I really don't need to harass the cows to get the "perfect" photo ;-) . Some of the cows might decide to give ME a little message ;-)

You need to post some pics too, nothing cuter than a colored up newborn calf.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments. That #77 cow isn't quite as bad as the pic shows, she is protective, but she will back off if I need to do something with her calf. She is one of our best cows, and this one should be a darn good calf come fall. It is about 25 days earlier than last years ;-) . And for those of you wondering about the preemie, he IS the one I posted about earlier. He is just over 2 weeks old now. Doing quite well, but you can see the difference in size, he's probably 50 lbs, and the other calf is 90 lbs.

Latest posts