Baby Donk(pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

AngusLimoX

Reaction score
Well it took 2 years to get a live one, but we think she's worth the wait!! :D

Now Ratfish, this is what you need for yotes!! So ugly she's cute!! :lol: :lol:

farm_pix_010.jpg

farm_pix_006.jpg

( Yes I know there is a horse board, but us beginners gots to boast too! ).

Oh that's wonderful! When she's dry and fluffy, you will really fall for her. Congratulations to you! Jennet's first foal? Are you gonna keep her?

Gale Seddon":3q4ywe5a said:
Oh that's wonderful! When she's dry and fluffy, you will really fall for her. Congratulations to you! Jennet's first foal? Are you gonna keep her?

Yep, got some dry and fluffy photo's now as well. :D

This was Molly's second. The first she had in December 2005, -35 Centigrade, but the vet said it wasn't the cold that caused the foal to die, it was Molly biting at the umbilical too aggressively, and the foal bled out?

This did give me some concern last night as Molly seems to be very eager to bite the foal when it won't go where she wants it.

There isn't much doubt about her staying, no matter what she could be sold for ( minimum $700 in these parts ). If it had been a jack that may have been different. Molly was a birthday present to the wife 4 years ago and holds pretty high status in the farm hierarchy!! Now she has one of her own for company.

I know some folks get different results, but I have seen Molly go after cats and dogs even if they are not near the cattle. Anything canine that goes in that pasture is dead, absolutely no doubt about it. With the yote population always seeming to rise that is nice peace of mind at calving time.

I don't know Jack about donkeys. But are there different breeds of donkeys? And what is a group of donkeys called?

Jogeephus":1capxauo said:
I don't know Jack about donkeys. But are there different breeds of donkeys? And what is a group of donkeys called?

Here is a link that will tell you MORE than you ever wanted to know about donkeys. ( A group is a herd, but I don't think "drove" applies to donkeys as it does to cattle ).

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department ... l/agdex598

Yes , she does have quite the noggin doesn't she glover36. :lol:

AngusLimoX":16eomme0 said:
Anything canine that goes in that pasture is dead, absolutely no doubt about it. With the yote population always seeming to rise that is nice peace of mind at calving time.

Congratulations on your new addition. Now I have a couple of stupid questions. Why are donkeys such good protectors of livestock? Why are they so aggressive against predators but not the cattle they are protecting?

VanC":tqggid2y said:
AngusLimoX":tqggid2y said:
Anything canine that goes in that pasture is dead, absolutely no doubt about it. With the yote population always seeming to rise that is nice peace of mind at calving time.

Congratulations on your new addition. Now I have a couple of stupid questions. Why are donkeys such good protectors of livestock? Why are they so aggressive against predators but not the cattle they are protecting?

Nothing stupid about those questions. My answer, based on my experience, with one donkey over 4 years is, that generally speaking they seem to hate dogs ( read coyotes ) in particular and they have a strong protective instint for calves in particular and the herd in general.

Our donkey hates any change in the environment ( plowing a snowbank to a different spot, dropping a bale in a strange spot ) and investigates it immediately and aggressively.

Other than trying to compete when some grain is offered ( moving the cattle ) I have never seen our donk kick our cattle. And she normally allows herself to be pushed out of the way once she has a mouthful. :lol:

When the herd is grazing the donk is always with the calves even when the mommas have found a sweet spot elsewhere.

I have seen Molly kick a dog walking by in front of her 3 times before the dog even knew it was being attacked. The dog ended up on it's side 5 feet away and the dog leapt up hitting me in the chest yipeing. ( OK, she attacked our Sheltie, but the Sheltie was in HER pasture! :lol: ).

Our farrier says, yeah horses kick at you, donkeys aim!!

Horror stories - you bet. People almost killed by their donks, calves killed by donks, useless unprotective donks. They are all out there. Like cattle it is a matter of the right animal under the right management. We could treat Molly like a pet, but we know she is happiest with her herd. :lol:

Lots of folks with a lot more experience than me with donks could likely add more. Females seem to work out best for herd duty, and donkeys are pretty widely used here by the "range maggot" folks. ( Thanks dun, I love that one ).

What a sweet baby! We have had two this year, a jack and a jennie, and we are expecting another one sometime in the next month or two. Are they miniatures, standards, mamoths? It is just a wonderful time when they are born. Make sure you handle it a lot so it will be a lover. :heart:

Lammie":1mkdc77l said:
Make sure you handle it a lot so it will be a lover. :heart:

(I am typing this looking over my shoulder), I am hoping she will be a killer, not a lover, just like her mom!!

She is getting too much attention, actually have to be a little stern with folks, time to leave them alone.

Where can I go to see pics of your babies?

OOPs, sorry edit - miniatures I belive Lammie

AngusLimoX":1hc13x0s said:
Well it took 2 years to get a live one, but we think she's worth the wait!! :D

( Yes I know there is a horse board, but us beginners gots to boast too! ).

Awwwww, what a cutie! I sure hope she grows into that head, though. :eek: She's not a horse so why should she be confined to the horse boards? ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like the tigerstripe would be safer...although I must admit he looks something like a donkey with those long ears of his. And for what it's worth, he's calmed down quite a bit.
The neighbors across the street have something like 5 donkeys. They are incredibly loud.

Ratfish":8dfp0k5d said:
Sounds like the tigerstripe would be safer...although I must admit he looks something like a donkey with those long ears of his. And for what it's worth, he's calmed down quite a bit.
The neighbors across the street have something like 5 donkeys. They are incredibly loud.

for real same here. neighbor across the road and down and across the creek has 3 or 4 and they scare the crap out of me, sound like they are in my yard.

AngusLimoX":2bksn14p said:
Lammie":2bksn14p said:
Make sure you handle it a lot so it will be a lover. :heart:

(I am typing this looking over my shoulder), I am hoping she will be a killer, not a lover, just like her mom!!

She is getting too much attention, actually have to be a little stern with folks, time to leave them alone.

Where can I go to see pics of your babies?

OOPs, sorry edit - miniatures I belive Lammie

I posted on the everything else board under the title New Addition, I believe. I also have some pics in the photo gallery. We had our first spotted foal in August, other than that, it is grey dun, except for our herd sire. He's hard to catch, though, nd I believe that he'll be a guard like his daddy.

LonghornRanch":qxmqdgnl said:
Look at the this little white baby Donkey my Jenny had in Feb.
DSCF0019.jpg

Now, that's a sweetie! I wiah our latest would have had that much white on him. We had a solid white jennet but she was too tall for our herdsire to breed and we sold her. I've been thinking of selling most of the herd. It is hard to part with them, though, especially when they have babies.

What a sweety LonghornRanch! Maybe even smaller than our little one ( still no name ).

Ratfish, Beefy, you guys are right, they sure can sound off when they want to!!

Read the other thread currently on this board about donkies Ratfish, nothing dangerous about most of them. ( I am glad that Tiger stripe is calming down Ratfish, interesting experiment you got going there :lol: ).

Well here are a few dry and fluffy photos.

HPIM1370.JPG

HPIM1355.JPG

HPIM1383.JPG