baby calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I had a cow that just calved either late on the 25th or early the 26th. Im not sure if it is getting milk from its mother ,front two tets are very big ,back two are ok. Calf up getting around, but I hadnt seen it suck. Is there anyway to tell for sure?

[email protected]

The hair on the udder around the teats will have a swirly look as if the have been wet, it will also be kind of glued to the udder or upper teat. Hard to explain (for me anyway). It's not unusual for a calf to only nurse from a couple of teats te first several days, then as their requirements increase they'll start working on the others. One year we had all left hand calves. They would nurse the left side teats completely and ignored the right side. Within 4-5 days they started on the others and finally by a week had balanced everything out.

dun

> I had a cow that just calved
> either late on the 25th or early
> the 26th. Im not sure if it is
> getting milk from its mother
> ,front two tets are very big ,back
> two are ok. Calf up getting
> around, but I hadnt seen it suck.
> Is there anyway to tell for sure?

[email protected]

Yea thats funny that you should mention that. I had a calf that would only hit the two rear quarters last summer. I was thinking that something was wrong with the front two. Oh well I guess I was wrong being new to this stuff. Them front ones looked as if they were going to bust. Then after around three weeks it found the front two. Now I guess the milk would have stayed good that long, or did it? Wonder why they do that?

i had one born 2 weeks ago and the mother is a good milker and the calf can't take all of it for the first few days, also there is a lot of swelling in the udder for the first week or so. this calf would get the ones on one side and the others were so full. usually they nurse in the morning and evening if they are energtic and lively then they are probably getting plenty
> I had a cow that just calved
> either late on the 25th or early
> the 26th. Im not sure if it is
> getting milk from its mother
> ,front two tets are very big ,back
> two are ok. Calf up getting
> around, but I hadnt seen it suck.
> Is there anyway to tell for sure?

[email protected]

Latest posts