Baby calf prices

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
Just curious to see what baby calves are selling for in different parts of the country. They are high around here. I have been seeing avg to better than average holstein bulls 1-3 days old from 420-440 dollars each. Saw some baby jersey bulls weighing around 30 lbs bring 235 today. On the beef calves, I have been paying 600-650 for 2-5 week old beef calves fresh off the cow to put on cows that lost calves. Today, I bought the first calf, a dandy month old calf for 600, then they had about a dozen 1-5 day old various beef calves, all weak and sick looking, brought from 435-590. Then the next sale barn, the weak and sick looking 1-5 day olds brought from 375 to 590 and then I paid 620 for an outstanding black bull about 4 weeks old. Both started sucking their new mothers in the trailer immediately when I put them together, so looks like a good start for the new pairs. I am shocked at what people are paying for the few days old calves, 500-600 is pretty common at all the sales around here. Last week, I paid 590 for a really good one, then they ran in a broken mouth cow with an outstanding month old calf that would work perfect. I was sure they would split them and I would have to pay 600 for the calf. They set the pair in at 1600 and no one bid, so I took them at that, then told them sell my cow, she weighed out 1345 dollars for slaughter, so I had my calf for under 300 after expenses. The sales barn cost the seller of that pair 300 dollars by not selling the pair properly.

wow, them's crazy prices... especially with the risk with these weakish calves.

From what I've seen here and there, a lot of people haven't been having much luck calving, and that could be part of the reason the prices are nuts.

I have an empty pasture. We only raise the 2 to eat for ourselves. I can't pay these prices to bottle feed for ourselves. I just hope to get the one a local small farmer doesn't want to deal with. Finally get my husband through all his surgeries and I am still mowing the grass!

depends on the day but mostly 25-100 for a few day old bottle calves at the barn and off the farm 100-125 for holsteins and jerseys are about the same.

Paid $350 for a very nice balancer twin bull calf a couple of weeks ago. Just heard that 75 miles south of us the same calf is selling at the sale barn for $750 or more...ridiculous!

3waycross":1headupc said:
Paid $350 for a very nice balancer twin bull calf a couple of weeks ago. Just heard that 75 miles south of us the same calf is selling at the sale barn for $750 or more...ridiculous!
Ridiculous if you're buying--not so much if you're selling. Wish I had some to sell...

greybeard":tr2egx18 said:
3waycross":tr2egx18 said:
Ridiculous if you're buying--not so much if you're selling. Wish I had some to sell...

Not too many selling these as a business, more likely because of an unplanned event.

stocky":2idf1di0 said:
They set the pair in at 1600 and no one bid, so I took them at that, then told them sell my cow, she weighed out 1345 dollars for slaughter, so I had my calf for under 300 after expenses.
Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together. :nod:
But the poor guy that shipped 'em couldn't have been happy after opening his check.

We sold some 310lb holstein bull calves and got $2.60/lb... That's over $800/hd for some weaned holstein bull calves that have never seen a vet. This is nuts...

At those prices you should be calving out them old 8 month cows and splitting them at a week old. I bought five old cows a couple weeks ago that weighed 1300 for 1350 that have already got four calves on the ground. Could just as well split them now. If the cows only brought 1100 to kill and the week and a half old calves 4 to 500 it wouldn't be a bad deal.

Here there are route buyers who stop at every dairy twice a week to buy all the bull calves. They are paying $350 per calf for Holstein bulls and taking them all.

We think 600 is an high price but if shorty has good luck and the calf brings 1500 this fall that is still more than I can make on buying a 5wt steer and keeping it through the summer. Hope you have good luck shorty. I probably wont buy any baby's at this price though.

We sold our calves for that. We put them through the baby calf sale and got .$20/lb more for them than calves of the same weight through the typical feeder calf sale.

the reason your seeing such high prices are theres alot of people that like to raise bottle calves.plus with the dairies still quiting your seeing alot less bottle calves.

kenny thomas":3ohbkv4s said:
We think 600 is an high price but if shorty has good luck and the calf brings 1500 this fall that is still more than I can make on buying a 5wt steer and keeping it through the summer. Hope you have good luck shorty. I probably wont buy any baby's at this price though.
That's the same with stocky, these calves he buys to put back on cows all bring 1400$ to 1500$ right off the cows. makes the 450 to 650$ cows look like a good deal.

Watching winchesters sale online today baby calves sold from 25.00 for a jersey bull calf to 340.00 for a blk angus bull calf

I saw 2 fresh baby calves sell today at Van Zandt Livestock. One was started on a bottle and brought $585. The other had nursed a couple of times and brought $565.

I put some newly weaned Holstein bull calves on craigslist, 2 didn't look so hot, one was good, sold them for $600 each-I sold a black cross bull for $550 and 3 month old calves for $525 each-I have never seen these kind of prices in my 20 plus years of farming. last year I sold baby bulls for $150-$200, now I am getting $300-$500 each-ITS SWEET!!! :banana:

Latest posts