Baby calf ...can't nurse?

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmerclark

Reaction score
We brought home another baby calf..,and my goodness it just can't seem to nurse, maybe because of the tounge.. seems to hang out the side of his mouth. Has anyone had this happen? And if so, does the calf finally learn to nurse like normal...for now we are , milking the cow out, and then tubing the calf.. Otherwise it seems healthy , but just can't suck normally....thanks for any info you can offer...

Give him a shot of BoSe and a little Dex from your vet. And ask him if he has a shot of vitamin A+D while you're at it.

No swelling, and the tongue looks normal, only it sorta hangs out from one side, when we try to put a bottle in its mouth,,,it doesn't wrap it's tongue around the nipple, like it should...
But when putting my finger in its mouth, I'm pretty sure it tries to suck..
This has been the worst year for us at calving time... After 42 years , of calving out , around 120 cows, we first have a calf with a broken back leg, and now one that can't suck....holy Hannah. Think it's time to retire...

What is the BoSe shot do? Have never heard of this...

It's for selenium deficiency. Even if the calf doesn't have white muscle disease the shot won't hurt him. Dosage is 2.5-3.75cc for a calf. I'd give about 3cc.

Latest posts