Babies having babies

Help Support CattleToday:

S&WSigma40VEShooter":1viy4nvp said:
novaman":1viy4nvp said:
I've always been told the first cylce post-calving is not highly fertile. Since I AI I can control when they are bred and always wait at least 45 days and usually 60 days until their first breeding. This gives them time to repair everything and cycle a time or two.

Really, I have had several cows in the last few months calve twice in a year. Now if what you are saying is true then there is no way they could have caught on their first heat after calving and had another calf 10 and half to 11 months there is just no possible way yet it happened? A miracle? perhaps only it has happened four years in a row now.
If you read closely I said the first cycle is not HIGHLY fertile. Doesn't mean cows can't be bred on it. Furthermore, you could have a cow that would have a calf at 11 months and still missed on a cycle.
330 days - 285 days = 45 days

novaman":1o5nhso2 said:
msscamp":1o5nhso2 said:
Dixieangus":1o5nhso2 said:
P.S. do you think a cow should breed back her first heat if she was in a small herd of ten cows and a big brangus bull...

Assuming the management is there, the animal in question is a proven breeder, and the delivery was free of complications - then yes, most cows will breed back on their first heat post-calving. Sometimes you will have one that needs 2 cycles to catch, though.
I've always been told the first cylce post-calving is not highly fertile. Since I AI I can control when they are bred and always wait at least 45 days and usually 60 days until their first breeding. This gives them time to repair everything and cycle a time or two.

My error - I'm not sure what I was thinking, but it was incorrect. Sorry for the mistake. :oops: