Babies begging for me to Pet (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Ok I know I need to quit the petting, but what is A person to do when they just walk up to the fence wanting you to pet them?

Picture of a new baby we have think she is either 2 or 3 days old in the picture, but forgot when I took the picture for sure. Her mom had brought her up and she began to get curious and walked right up to the fence so close we could almost pet her. She still keeps coming over to us curious when we are around fence by her. You just have to pet these gentle ones don't you?

CatalinaCloseup.jpg

CatalinaandMsBell.jpg

Catalina1.jpg

I pet them too just remember don't get to playful around the head with the bull calf I could turn into a dangerous game

Good grief.. PET her will you! It won't make her into a raving lunatic that will want to kill you next week, I promise! Some are just docile.. it's NOT a fault, no matter what others on the Boards may think.

Very nice heifer calf!

TheBullLady":o41p5j4m said:
Good grief.. PET her will you! It won't make her into a raving lunatic that will want to kill you next week, I promise! Some are just docile.. it's NOT a fault, no matter what others on the Boards may think.

:lol2: :clap: :lol:

Aplus, that is one cute calf! She would be enough to make me rethink my stance on petting calves! ;-) :eek: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I must confess that all my cattle are approachable, even touchable. Since I weigh all the calves shortly after birth, usually within the first two hours, they immediately get used to being handled. I avoid touching their heads, but I must admit to patting them on the back. One little fellow follows me around when I am in the pasture.

The same cow that will blow her nose at a dog will calmly watch as my family admires her new calf THROUGH THE FENCE. You must be careful at all times.

We have a calf like that too, greenwillow! He follows everyone round the pasture, and so Dad anmed him clarence, after his childhood puppy.

The thing that surprised me about this calf was I was nowhere around when it was born, we have another calf that is real friendly but I was there when it was born and had handled it. This one just should up the day I took the close up and walked right up to the fence to see me.

The picture next to its mom might have been a day or so later forget when I took them, but the close up was 2 days born and never saw any of us before. She continues to be like that even now.

I hope she is nice enough for my kids to show because she should be a gentle one later on.

The calves from two bulls that we used last year have thrown calves that are curious and very friendly. One ofthe calves just drives his mother nuts because she's always been very stand-offish. The older he gets the more curious/friendly he gets so her affect on him hasn;t shown through yet.

dun

aplusmnt":5r216e7p said:
Ok I know I need to quit the petting, but what is A person to do when they just walk up to the fence wanting you to pet them?

Picture of a new baby we have think she is either 2 or 3 days old in the picture, but forgot when I took the picture for sure. Her mom had brought her up and she began to get curious and walked right up to the fence so close we could almost pet her. She still keeps coming over to us curious when we are around fence by her. You just have to pet these gentle ones don't you?

Aplus, I'd pet until my heart was content. After all, you are a janitor and know not what you speak of,right? ;-) ;-) ;-)

cypressfarms":2h3yua56 said:
aplusmnt":2h3yua56 said:

Aplus, I'd pet until my heart was content. After all, you are a janitor and know not what you speak of,right? ;-) ;-) ;-)

lmao.......good point I have got to start doubting my self now. :D

Lastnight me and my 15 year old son was moving some cows from one pasture to another and they had to go through a small corral area by barn. I look over and he is pushing the little heifer on the butt to get her through the gate. She was just standing there.

Dun, is that typical for a certain bull to make them Gentle? Never thought of the bull doing that, always figured it was maybe a learned thing from their mom. If this is case I might have to use this bull a little more (McCarney) he should work good on my cows anyway and is a pretty good son of Meyer 734. I have a fall born cow due to him also have to see how the dispisition of that calf is.

aplusmnt":3v0pem26 said:
Dun, is that typical for a certain bull to make them Gentle? Never thought of the bull doing that, always figured it was maybe a learned thing from their mom. If this is case I might have to use this bull a little more (McCarney) he should work good on my cows anyway and is a pretty good son of Meyer 734. I have a fall born cow due to him also have to see how the dispisition of that calf is.

Don;t know how typical it is. But over the years some bulls daughters have been almost too tame and others have always been high as a kite. We tend to stay with the calm bulls. My wife thnks that it may be a conditioned type of deal. The calves have heard me talking before they're born and the cow hasn;t gotten nutty so they just figure it's nothing to be afraid of. But that doesn;t explain the nut case cow and the overly tame calf. But she never gets goofy till her calf is born and then only wants to stay as far away from everything as hse can.

dun

dun

I think the bull definately has influence on that. My old Brahman bull never had a high headed calf out of any of my cows. They were all very curious and easy to handle.

Victoria":3gttyvmi said:
Some people who have never even met their father resemble them in personality, same is true in cattle.

Now we know not to blame Crowder it is his fathers fault, he can not help that he is the way he is ;-) :D

Latest posts