BA Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

WP_000760.jpg
you got the right type of momas... dont think that bull is the right type for them

Thank you Alacowman. He is the registered cleanup bull that my neighbor offered to let me use for free with my Brahman heifers. Other cattlemen have had success crossing the Hudgins and Gardiner lines of Brahman and Black Angus respectively. What I like about him is that he is the pick out of about 60 for performance on native pasture. The group of cows he came from suffered some hard times and hard culling when the young guy who bought them with a federal loan skipped town and left them to starve in the drought.

Bottom line is all about the market and input costs. I am talking to people everyday who say, "I've gotta get $3-$4 lb for those heifers because that's what I've got in 'em." If the people who know a lot more than me about Gardiner line Angus bulls think he is worth using, I would like to use him and be able to make a small profit even if I have to sell at $0.80/lb.

Thanks TT, just added some rainy morning pics. My cell doesn't work well with CT, so they are on ranchers.net

Well, in the end nature made the decision for us. The 14 month old bull showed no interest in standing heat cows/heifers. He left the area yesterday afternoon and an older bull has taken his job.

An old bull and a baby bull come over the top of a hill and see a groups of cows. The young bull says lets run down there and breed one of them cows. The old bull says let's walk down there and breed them all...

:nod:

JWBrahman":1ybqf255 said:
Thank you Alacowman. He is the registered cleanup bull that my neighbor offered to let me use for free with my Brahman heifers. Other cattlemen have had success crossing the Hudgins and Gardiner lines of Brahman and Black Angus respectively. What I like about him is that he is the pick out of about 60 for performance on native pasture. The group of cows he came from suffered some hard times and hard culling when the young guy who bought them with a federal loan skipped town and left them to starve in the drought.

Bottom line is all about the market and input costs. I am talking to people everyday who say, "I've gotta get $3-$4 lb for those heifers because that's what I've got in 'em." If the people who know a lot more than me about Gardiner line Angus bulls think he is worth using, I would like to use him and be able to make a small profit even if I have to sell at $0.80/lb.

With all due respect to "lines" of specific (named) breeds of cattle, the producer is mating individual cows and bulls. Just because one particular beef cattle producer has success in mating Breed "A" cattle to Breed "X" cattle Does NOT mean that that particular combination of "X FARMS" cattle will be successfful with every other combination of crosses! A good factor to remember is this: you are breeding individual cattle, with individual Traits and Characteristics - NOT so-and-so's LINE of "X" breed - however successful that "LINE" may have been in the past. Focus and concentrate on particular individual animals - and what the possibilities are that those characteristics will function successfuly in YOUR herd. Breeder "A"'s bulls may not work worth a tinkers dam in your herd - - however many big bucks you pay for him 0r how little he cost to use. Big money does not guarantee a successful calf crop - -ALL of the time. Sometimes maybe - if the traits 'nick' well between bulls and cows.

Compare the genetic characteristics and traits between Farmer "X's" bull and your cows to see what you can reasonably expect in the way of progeny produced. If they will work together - FINE! If they won't - the use of a "FREE" bull is throwing a years production away!

DOC HARRIS

Thanks Doc. I will file this with the good advice you gave the guy from New Jersey about Star Lake. Seriously, you are talking apples and I am talking oranges. The Doctor the bull belongs to is one of the largest contractor suppliers to Kansas feedlots in Louisiana. That bull was purchased for $7500 when he left...