B Dahl Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

GRTiger85

Reaction score
Have a field that I tried sprigging several years ago that didn't work out, put the sprigs in and then didn't get the rains and only a few spots came up. I would like to try ww b dahl instead this time after reading everything about it. Just wondering from those who have put it in what the best way to plant the stuff is? Also, after we plowed the field and the sprigs failed to take hold the KR bluestem came up the next year so I also have that to deal with. Thought about hitting it with roundup when it greens up this spring and then planting the b dahl, any other suggestions for something that would work better?

Novatech can tell you more but
It was developed by ttu down at justiceburg not too far from me and I've looked into it. It just doesn't work good in my area
You don't want it too deep, just soil contact
Mow the the grass short then burn it down with round up
About week or two later when the forecast is right broadcast the seed
Don't not till the ground just try to be sure you get good soil contact and hope for rain

cross_7":15cxslet said:
Novatech can tell you more but
It was developed by ttu down at justiceburg not too far from me and I've looked into it. It just doesn't work good in my area
You don't want it too deep, just soil contact
Mow the the grass short then burn it down with round up
About week or two later when the forecast is right broadcast the seed
Don't not till the ground just try to be sure you get good soil contact and hope for rain
Pretty much how I planted. The only exception is that if you use a broadcast spreader then you need to mix the seed with sand or sawdust.
The seed needs to be dropped directly on top of the ground. If you have tilled the ground it must be compacted to the point of no tire tracks can be seen after driving over it. I used an old New Idea drop seeder. It was referred to as a fertilizer spreader back in it's day. It often came with a clover box and was used to drop phosphorus as the clover was planted. It has paddles that break up chaffy seed and bring it to the drop outlets. http://static.fastline.com/assets/item/ ... e6853e.jpg
Turner sells a seed that the chaff has been removed. My brother used it and didn't have much luck.
If you don't get a good stand right away don't worry. The seed will lie dormant until conditions are right and come up latter. Let the grass seed out to thicken the stand.
Make sure you get a soil test. Good P is a must for good seed germination.

I am planting some in 2015 the guy who is going to plant it uses a machine he built kinda like drop seeder he said to plow it real fine in the fall around when I plant my oats then leave it so it will pack back down real good then in the spring roundup then plant it I have seen some fields around me and I like what I see with our dry summers it is out growing the other grasses with little to no fertilizer